Ultimate Subaru Message Board

air filter element sizes - talking Forester/Impreza late 90s

I am curious as to know what size air filter elements are used in the USDM SF Forester and the GC8/GF8 Impreza

I have air boxes from both my models above in the EJ20 range. The same part number for the casings between the two.

The element is about 14" long

I ordered a pair of elements from Rock for 1999 MY Forester - just yours are EJ25 - lucky people !

I do recall the measurements given were about the 10 3/8" length and forgot to compare with what I need. So, when they arrived down under, I had been a little more acquainted with them Forester bits, and the newly arriveds did not look correct. Too flipping short by a long shot :(

Th upshot is that I do not need to look for air filters for my Brumby as it uses a GM air box out of our common as dirt GM-Holden Commodore range - and that is what these filters fit !

Our GMH Commodores use the US sourced alloy V6 designs and it looks like GMH also wasted no time on developing their own air filter box :)

All this makes me wonder if USDM got short changed on air box dimensions or rock just has more funny listings than I care to think about

i dont think the issue is with Rock at all.. I think it is the differences in the different markets. USDM is going to have different parts than what you have, or what Europe has, or even what Japan has.. that is just the way it is.

Keep in mind that Rock Auto is a US company that caters primarily to the US market. Not saying you cant get what you need, but you will most likely have to do a bit more digging than just going to year & model listings - engine size/configuration is a bigger factor.

dont be so quick to say getting the EJ25 is "lucky" - yes, it has more power, but it also has more problems, so.. trade offs.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, heartless said:

dont be so quick to say getting the EJ25 is "lucky"

Over here in Oz if it didn’t come factory with that engine size, you generally need to have engineering approval for an engine capacity increase. The exact requirements for this differs from state to state, so it gets complicated. 

So to have the impreza only come out here in EJ20 as the largest engine size would require some authority to get involved if going down the legit swap route… 

The EJ251 is a great version of this engine size once it has the HGs replaced for the MLS units - and has the head bolts replaced in the correct location! Those painted head bolts always catch you out the first time you do a HG on one of these! I know I didn’t see them the first time… 

Cheers 

Bennie

You would think air box size would be same all over, then I thought maybe the LHD application calls for a smaller element.... then noticed California compliant filter is very close, just need to confirm mm for mm against mine. Very happy with my seemingly gutless, lethargic old EJ202. On the first 300km run gave me better than 38 miles per 4.546 litre or 7.45 litres per 62 miles (100 km) next run was 8.00 litres per 100km, then 7.75 litres per 100km - all on our lowest grade 91 RON fuel. Cost wise is much the same as my EA82T on LPG

On 3/1/2023 at 6:18 PM, el_freddo said:

^ noice! What gear bag are you running with it? 

Best bit about the EJs is the parts availability and the extra performance over the (generally old clapped out) EA donk! 

Cheers 

Bennie

It is a bog standard MY1999 EJ202 5MT AWD running 2007 GT 17"  225/55  I think it is 225, all standard. Not lowered, not raised., no exhaust mods, and has the cargo mat and carpet mat  and one other accessory that escapes me. It got 3 of 16 accessories on offer. Being a Limited it got ABS air bags for front occupants, power windows all about, power mirrors, AC, PS, roof rails - oh wow - roof rails wtf? I try to keep it under 3,000 anywhere. Give me a worn out EA any day :)