Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2008 Outback XT Part Identification Please.

I'm replacing the short block on a 2008 Outback XT (E255 Turbocharged engine) and am wondering what the function of this part is. It appears to be an air pump of sorts, and I assume it is part of the emissions control. Can someone confirm what it is, and whether or not it can be deleted? If deleted, will it generate codes?

This is the newest, most complicated Subaru I've worked on to date, so I'm taking a lot pf pictures and laying out parts in order of removal.

Thanks!

Subaru Part.jpg

air cut valve pump. It comes on for maybe 45 seconds on a stone-cold start. Some cars need to keep one ofr the valves for an air pressure sensor that's in it? Others can remove the valves and pump. Some companies made block-off plates for the valve locations. My valves rusted shut after about 4 years so, I just killed the codes but left the parts in place.

I think I deleted about 14 codes on my WRX.

50 minutes ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

My valves rusted shut after about 4 years so, I just killed the codes but left the parts in place.

I think I deleted about 14 codes on my WRX.

14 codes!!! probably improved 0-60 times not needing to process all that extra data. Lol.