Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 Legacy Outback Auto Transmission?

I picked up a 98 Legacy Outback with an Auto Transmission.  There was a ton of play in the CV axles and it was rolling in park.

Turns out the front differential retainer ring case was cracked.  Sticking out 1/4 on the bottom.  I've never seen that before.

It has a 2.2 swapped into it already.  Single port exhaust so I'm guessing 1996 - 99.

Anyone know the transmission interchange years/models off the top of your head?

I'll get the trans # to verify once it's out.

Thanks,

Larry

95-98 Legacy Forester Outback Impreza all work.

Generally 2.5s are 4.44 final drive and 2.2s are 4.11.  occasionally there’s an oddball. make sure the final drive matches or swap diff to match.

95-96 FWD auto trans will bolt up and plug and play work as well.

Matching trans out of the COS You Pull and Pay yesterday with only 109K on the car.  It looked like it threw the T-belt, so hope the trans is good.  It was not hit hard so I suspect it was in the yard for an engine failure.

Never throw away/recycle Subaru Parts, you will miss them!  New 98 has a hole in the CAT.  I recycled 4 of them a year ago and now I need one!  Anyone have one around?

Second, the Key is stuck in the ignition.  It will not come out.  With the old trans it was fine.  I think that switch is in the shifter and not part of the transmission so I don't know what would have caused it.  Troubleshooting to do.

The engine was dirty as can be.  Headed to the car wash with degreaser.  It's much cleaner now but developed a stumble.  I put the proper NGK plug wires on it as it still had the DOHC 2.5 wires.  I may just let it dry out while I'm off on Holiday for 2 weeks.

Time to clean the garage!

Cleaned a the connectors.

I tried slaving in the old Trans switch, no change.

I pulled the shifter apart and could see the switch.  The shift lever was moving too far FWD and the SW opened again.  

Pull back on the shifter and it works as it should.

Engine is running well.  I just need to find a CAT to stop the exhaust leak.