Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 -> ?

(Got referred here from I-Club)

Here's my deal.. I have an 83' GL-10 Wagon with an EA81 (Double-barrel carb, N/A), but the engine is completely shot (Chewed a main bearing, carb is totalled, high milage, etc). What I'm wondering is what engines will bolt into the chassis without custom work being done? I hear the EA81T is rare as hell, and I'm not sure if the EA82/EA82T will need custom mounts or not.

Also, anyone got a site with specs like drivetrain (trannys/fronts and rears inparticular) that came with this car? Any help would be appreciated.. thanks!

The dual range has three positions for the 4WD shift lever - 2WD, 4WD Hi, and 4WD Low. The Low range adds a 1.45:1 modifier to the output from the trans, making all gears lower. Think of the transfer case on a truck - same thing, but it's part of the tranny.

I don't understand what you mean by "locking" 4WD - some EA82's had a lockable center diff, but nothing like that ever came on an EA81.....

GD

Alright maybe I confused the dual range as a locking diff.. transmission/differential knowlege isn't one of my strong points yet :D

Thanks for the info though, I'll take a closer look around the boards to pick up some details I may be overlooking..

later model ea82 motor swill fit, find a carb intake and use an spfi block. ann ea81 carb intake will bot to an ea82 motor, but you will have to invent a throttle cable mountand rebove the EGR valve and make a block off.

the ea82 motor mounts fit the crossmeber the same, the bellhousing the same. you can swap the ea81 pitch bar mount to the ea82 motor. but since the disty is in the back of the motor, it will be really close to the master cylinder. you will want to remove the disty to install the engine(to clear the MC) then drop the dist back in once the motor is in.

i myself had an ea81 intake on an spfi long block in an mpfi turbo wagon. mix and match can be done, subaru=legos