Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what engine?

Only one engine came in that car - the EA82. '87 is probabaly SPFI, but could be carbed as well (last year for carbed EA82's).

GD

Is it pretty easy to tell between the carb and SPFI? After owning several 60's International Scouts and other carbed vehicles, I WANT FI.

Thanks

Andre S

The carb's have a big kidney shaped black air cleaner housing right in the middle of the engine compartment - the SPFI has a flat filter in a houseing on the passenger side near the front.... pretty easy to identify.

The SPFI is pretty stout, but can be difficult to troubleshoot when it has problems.....

The best bet for a carbed car is to swap out the Hitachi carb for a Weber. Easy to work on, simple, and reliable.

Don't forget to replace the timing belts EVERY 60k - you will not be happy when you have to be towed because one broke (easily fixed, but still a pain).....

GD

Thanks for the info, that's what I need to know before I look at this Subaru. I've got an '88 that I've spent too much money on and still no air conditioner. I'm going to see if this '87 is in a decent shape.

Thanks again,

Andre S