Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale overheating at high speed

92 Loyale, 1.8L EFI

It overheats at high speeds, about 70-75mph. Nearly goes into the red. If I slow down to 60 or so, the temperature needle goes into the middle of the gauge, it cools off.

And it's loosing coolant, I keep adding it. What could be the problem - failing thermostat? A leak? I cannot find any leaks under it. The radiator is apparently dry.

92 Loyale, 1.8L EFI

It overheats at high speeds, about 70-75mph. Nearly goes into the red. If I slow down to 60 or so, the temperature needle goes into the middle of the gauge, it cools off.

And it's loosing coolant, I keep adding it. What could be the problem - failing thermostat? A leak? I cannot find any leaks under it. The radiator is apparently dry.

Sounds like a classic blown HG to me...

Try a compression test and check back with the results

Good luck John

Yeah, hopefully it was all leaking from that hose.

I would definitely keep a close eye on the coolant level for a while. It's possible that the overheating may have caused further damage, but a blown hose usually relieves enough pressure to save your heads & gaskets.

good luck, John

Mine still over heats...well, gets hot, 200-210 or so...at high speeds...like 100+ mph....hoses are fine...its got a nice huge core rad thats clean, WP is new, t-stat new...colling system clean...running stright water with some Valvoline racing coolant additive...whats the deal???