Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4 spd 4wd tranny disassembly

I've got an 85 Brat and I have to replace the speedo gear in the tranny. I' ve got it out and need help getting the transfer case off. The book I have is vague at best. I've got the t-case bolts off and the reverse spring and detent ball out but the case won't separate. It moves abut 3/16" then stops. If you want to mail me direct great. I'v got to run back to work and get the gear out of my toolbox so I'll be about an hour. Thanks guys!

To get the transfer case off you need to

1. Take off the inspection cover and remove the 4wd shift fork, this part can be really tricky so be careful. This should allow you to get the tail housing off.

2. with the tail housing away you will need to remove the locknut that holds the 4wd, drive gear to the main output shaft of the transmission. On EA81 and EA82 transmissions this requires a very thin wall socket, Subaru sell one but usually people buy a regular 6 point socket and either grind it down of turn it on a lathe.

3. once you get that gear off, the transfer case should come off.