Ultimate Subaru Message Board

monster ea82 wagon update!

Okay, thats 2 rear axle breakages, in my driveway on bald 30s :banghead: Strike one: star pulls out of cup even though Its impossible to actually hyperextend, I've tested my suspension. It seems dual doj axles dont work very well after all. Not the fault of subaru, design flaw on my part. It seems one end will pull out of the cup under load before the other one starts sliding. I was idling rwd up a clay mound in double low. So I fix that one. Edit: I tack weld in the outer clip that hold the star into the cup. No problem there after that.

Strike 2: climbing a rock in rwd with the tires aired down, basically idling as well, I shear the axle shaft clean off where it enters the outside doj. So far no expected breakage like cup explosions or stub twist-offs. Strike 3 means I go looking for a solid axle. I mean c'mon, I havent left my driveway :mad: And I still havent put my knobby 31s on the back. This is pathetic.

Well after cooling off (I really needed it), and taking a look at the break, It looks to me like something was wrong with the heat treating of the shaft. It was a clean "shatter" with no signs of twisting so it was way too hard. The break is nearly reflective.

The other breakage was a result of a design idea that worked well in theory but I don't think works great in practice. With dojs at both ends of my axle, I have enough slip to handle a ton of downtravel, but I think when the joints are under load, one will prefer to slip when the other one wont due to the side loads placed on the balls from engine torque, and so one will be forced past the clip even though there is room in the other doj. Then it pops the ring out and mashes the end of the cup on its way out.

Thanks for the offer Subarubrat, I'll give my rear end a few more chances, and then well see how it goes. But my friend has an h190 rear axle with the same ratio as my front diff, and he'll let it go for a case of beer (along with the whole truck if I want it) so the thought of a solid rear that can handle relentless pounding is enticing :brow:

I have 2 3.70 diffs i don't know if they'll help. i'll be down in Vic with the ru very soon. Going to the graveyard on monday to look at rx and xt goodies gotta wish list ?:brow:? Sorry to here about the breaks, I just had a cooling off period after dealin' with crappy tire.

I have 2 3.70 diffs i don't know if they'll help. i'll be down in Vic with the ru very soon. Going to the graveyard on monday to look at rx and xt goodies gotta wish list ?:brow:? Sorry to here about the breaks, I just had a cooling off period after dealin' with crappy tire.

check PM's

Okay, put new axles in, with cv cup circle clips tacked onto cup around circumference. Beaten on them already, drop clutch reverse, forwards, 1 rear wheel climbs, etc no problems. All on aired down tires. I think my rear end is good to go now. But I'm stuck really bad up the hill now cause I slid off the trail into a hole with only rwd, gotta wait for my friend with his pickup to pull me out.