Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1986 GL sedan alternator problem

I have a 1986 GL Turbo Sedan; lately the rpm's have been fluctuating, when you turn off all the accessories, radio, headlights etc. The surging stops and it seems to run better. Computer comes up with no error codes.

The last time this happened replacing the alternator fixed the problem, but that was 3 months ago and it is staring to do it again. I am going to replace the alternator again, but it seems odd to have 2 go in such a short period of time.

Is this a common problem for these? I really don’t feel like replacing alternators every 3 months

Any info is appreciated

Crap i might be havin the same problem... does it make your car run a little rougher too? Like it misses sometimes? And the exhaust kinda smells of unburned gas? I think its not getting enough spark... I wrecked the car the other day and it wouldnt start so i cleaned the battery terminals a little bit and then restarted it today with not accessories on and it idled fine for the first time since ive owned it. Weird.