Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Starting Issue

I am new to the carburetor club and am having some issues with starting my 1981 gl wagon. I've had it for a couple months now and haven't really had any issues with it running other than a weird sort of hiccup when I'm at a stoplight or in park and the car is fully warmed up. However last Saturday I replaced the sparkplugs and was looking at a few other things, so I removed the air cleaner and took off those 5 vacuum lines. After putting the new plugs in (which were the NGK gapped at .044 the old plugs were a range of .032 up to .038) I put everything back together and when I turned it on it idled fine no misfire, however it does idle a bit high around 1500 then it will slowly increase up to 2000 then just lose power and die. Even feathering the gas does not help it and seems to die regardless after about 10-15 seconds. I have also replaced the fuel filter on the car that same day but a little later after running into this problem but that did not help either. 

Just being an old ea81 I’d go through a few items, maybe one at a time and test after each. 

There’s a few changes as the EA81 goes on but yours may have the black plastic flying saucer looking thing which is upstream from the carb. One recorded event was that plastic breaking apart and minute bits and even chuncks getting into the carb. 

Also the flaps on the air suction valve. Four Phillips screws on the metal box with hard metal tubing. Check those flaps for serious degradation at the lower edge kind of like an old carburetor slide if you’ve ever seen a lawnmower or motorcycle carb. 

Heat causes expansion so then can create leaks. Spray some wd40 or carb cleaner around the base of the carb as it’s warmed up and running and see if the idle levels out. 

Several folks here still active with EA 81s so you’ll get more advice soon. 

• Like 2

Update: 

So I got it running this week and I honestly don’t know how it fixed itself. When it was idling for those 10-15 seconds I just held the throttle open and sprayed starter fluid in there and kept it alive for about 30 seconds. Then when it died it sounded like it pre detonated and made a knock. Thinking I messed it up I went and started it again and it ran fine no problems with dying or anything. Idled at 3k but I let it warm up and then took it down to 800-1000rmp.
The car was definitely running rough though so I decided to mess with the timing a bit and got it to where I think it’s supposed to be however now that I messed with that the car doesn't want to start anymore at all. It just turns over forever. I smell fuel so I don’t think it’s the same problem as it was before. 

Just getting back to this. I see spraying the carb did good. Then you did what with timing? Adjust the distributor left or right ? If you made a mark go back to it. Or look for the wear mark. 

I would still go through the list I made. Seems like carb/air flow to me. If it’ll run at 3k smooth then kick down the timing seems ok. Or did. Not knocking you. I’d be doing the same at certain points. 

I see now that your EA81 doesn’t have the part I’m talking about above. Those were the later years 85,6,7