Ultimate Subaru Message Board

94 Impreza 2.2 145k, Crank Shaft Keyway the worst I've ever seen.

I looked at a 94 Impreza, only 145K.  The Damper was completely gouged out.  There was only about a 1/16" of the keyway still showing.

Move up and down on the crank shaft 1/4".  Key was moving in the gouged crankshaft 1/4".  I stopped there as the owner didn't want to go any further.

I have the key tig welded to the crankshaft.  I know others have used JB Weld or just aligned the crankshaft gear and then torqued down the bolt as much as possible.

I should have taken a picture.

4 hours ago, lmdew said:

I looked at a 94 Impreza, only 145K.  The Damper was completely gouged out.  There was only about a 1/16" of the keyway still showing.

Move up and down on the crank shaft 1/4".  Key was moving in the gouged crankshaft 1/4".  I stopped there as the owner didn't want to go any further.

I have the key tig welded to the crankshaft.  I know others have used JB Weld or just aligned the crankshaft gear and then torqued down the bolt as much as possible.

I should have taken a picture.

Maybe it got the “turn the radio up the car is making a noise again” fix. 

The timing sprockets were also gouged and loose? 

They said they wanted to keep it.  I told them, I could hopefully get it together and running.

Get the old key, what is left of it out.

Set the timing marks

Install a new Balancer and torque to 140 fl lbs.

See if it runs

Alt install

Fans install and give them a running Subaru.

• Like 3

Crankshaft Keyway worn. Removed Key and cleaned up crankshaft with fine sandpaper.

Installed crank gear and HB and torqued the bolt to 160 ftlbs. Installed new Idler pulleys and new DACO Timing Belt.

Turned the engine over by hand and everything felt good and timing marks lined up correctly.

Tried to start the engine, it wants to run but is just not there. With the gas to full throttle the engine will run.

I ran out of time and had to head south.  It has the old-style tensioner and it was very hard to compress.