Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Good afternoon. I have squirrel damage to the engine of my 2021 Subaru Forester Touring. I'm looking for some insights on what part of the engine is involved (see pictures below). By the ODCs the car is throwing, it seems to be related to the fuel pressure sensor - but that could be the result and not the actual damage itself. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

IMG_1656.jpg

IMG_1655.jpg

Have to open up the wire harness and repair the wires.  

If you pull up the FSM you may be able to see what components the harness is going to.

What codes do you have?

• Like 1

Is it covered under your insurance policy?

That's in a very bad area and good chance it's causing the codes. 

Splice the broken wires to repair or replace the entire harness, Subaru will have those in stock (i think). 

Subaru will only replace the entire wiring harness, they will not repair the current harness.  At least all the dealers I know won't, maybe there's a few willing to "break the rules". 

• Like 1

For preventing the next iteration. In Europe we have those nasty rodents that eat cables as well (Minks). I have 2 ultrasonic rodent Repellents in car and worked for the last 15y without issues. Once we got a rental from work and, bang within 3h the little one was already eating cables. 

On 3/1/2024 at 8:28 PM, BlueRidge said:

Thank you both for the feedback. I'm pulling the intake manifold to create working room and going to try to repair before considering replace.

I’ve repaired a few rodent damaged harnesses. Besides diagnosing and tracing them to under carpet wiring, or hidden areas, they were all easy repairs, never had repeat issues. One or three are broken completely, another is abraded, splice them all, wrap, and on your way.  Good luck!