Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Head Gasket Issues FB25 (2014 Forester)

Hello Everyone,

The saga continues...What did you honestly expect 🤣

2014 Forester 145k, engine block was replaced approximately 30k ago.  Recently, when the car shuts down there is a slight sweet smell (assuming it is coolant) and after running on the highway and stopping at a light, it smells faintly of burning oil.  There are no puddles or drips on the ground.  Coolant level is normal (just above the full mark when cold, heater works fine, no overheating, etc. 

While looking for signs of leakage, I did notice what appears to be seeping oil at the top front of the block along the driver side head gasket.  I also noticed that the head gasket is not a MLS, but a cheap single layer.  When I look up the vehicle on Subaru Parts Deals, it shows a MLS gasket, is either acceptable (this was done by the dealership)?

Are these motors known for failing crossover tube gaskets like the EJ motors?  Seems like all of these gaskets and seals would have been replaced during the short block replacement.

Other symptoms: car is burning about 1 quart of oil in 5k miles (0W-20 Castrol Edge) and had issues starting/running a little while ago.  When started, it would start then die.  It did this twice.  The third time I hit the throttle a little and it was fine.  Most recent work is a bulkhead wiring harness replacement.  No codes.

Would bad head gaskets even be covered under the engine block warranty?  The block has a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty, but generally labor and other parts are only a year.  I don't wan to get into it with Subaru AGAIN without knowing what I'm dealing with and going in prepared.  I really don't want to have to do head gaskets in my garage on an FB motor.

Could oil consumption be breaking in?  Maybe it'll reduce over time by 20K? 

The smells don't sound good though.   Keep an eye on coolant levels and that should tell you if you're actually losing coolant. 

15 minutes ago, idosubaru said:

Could oil consumption be breaking in?  Maybe it'll reduce over time by 20K? 

The smells don't sound good though.   Keep an eye on coolant levels and that should tell you if you're actually losing coolant. 

The oil consumption has actually gotten worse. The first change needed a quart at 6000ish miles. the difference could be a change in driving conditions, we had a lot more mountain miles and higher RPMs on this oil change.