Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is there a source for cold weather CV boots?

We're replacing the front axles every  year, because the cheapie boots crack in the cold.

I remember I used to be able to get silicon boots for my VW axles 40 years ago, and they didn't crack at -60F. Do we have a source for cold weather boots that'll fit the '96 and '01 Legacy front axles?

3 hours ago, nelstomlinson said:

We're replacing the front axles every  year, because the cheapie boots crack in the cold.

I remember I used to be able to get silicon boots for my VW axles 40 years ago, and they didn't crack at -60F. Do we have a source for cold weather boots that'll fit the '96 and '01 Legacy front axles?

Gone are the days of BAP-Geon auto parts stores.

Beck-Arnley catalog

https://www.beckarnley.com/find-my-part/find-my-part-results.html?type[value]=2&type[label]=Light Duty&year[value]=1996&year[label]=1996&make[value]=13&make[label]=Subaru&model[value]=64&model[label]=Legacy

I seem to recall that the CV boot B-A part numbers beginning with 2xx-xxx were silicone. Maybe search fleabay for those(?)

Dorman markets silicone cv boots. Pricey at $50 each though.

Edited by czny
  • Like 1

Subaru OEM boots?  They’re way better than standard aftermarket. They don’t break in a year.  I reboot my Subarus when I get them and never have to do it again even after 100,000 miles. That never happens with aftermarket.

if you’re using 90s axles upgrade to 00-04 Outback style axles. the boot material is better, particularly the outer boot, it’s “stiffer” and the outer boot has more convolutions. They have the tone ring on them, just tap it off with a hammer  it just sits on the ridge. They can even be left on but I remove them. They’re a direct swap into 90s EJ vehicles.  

I’ve seen silicon boots for sale but I forget where. Google should find some. 

• Like 1

Well, I went looking for OEM boots and found this: GSP NCV66037XD Xtreme Duty CV Axle. They claim it's good down to -50F, and it is rarely colder than that here, just a few days a year. We'll see, I guess.

It's good to know that the '96 and '01 axles interchange, thanks.

49 minutes ago, nelstomlinson said:

Well, I went looking for OEM boots and found this: GSP NCV66037XD Xtreme Duty CV Axle. They claim it's good down to -50F, and it is rarely colder than that here, just a few days a year. We'll see, I guess.

Is it that the grease in the boot gets that stiff that the boot splits when you start driving?

Would it be too much to build a wood skid with styrofoam & cardboard on top to slide under the car to help keep the heat of your block heater under the car?

Just something that you can stand up out of the way when not needed for the rest of the year.

Edited by czny

On 3/10/2024 at 9:31 AM, nelstomlinson said:

-50F  haha, wow. The first question is - There’s lots of Subarus in Alaska I doubt they’re all replacing boots annually. Maybe they’re coastal and more moderated temps?

I’d upgrade to OEM 00-04 OBW axles and new Subaru boots. No need to reinvent the wheel if those work. You can feel a difference between the 00-04 outer boots and 90s boots as soon as you remove them from the box. The material is way different and very robust.

If yours is lifted,colder, both, or otherwise stressing the boots more than other Alaskans, I’ve seen a company years ago that made silicone boots from dimensions you send them. Don’t recall the name.

The linked heavy duty axle is not a good axle. Might get lucky but They aren’t the first company that tried to sell a Subaru axle marketed like this and they won’t be the last.