Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2014 FB 25 Motor Head Gasket Replacement Procedure

Hello Everyone,

Is anyone aware of a write up for this job?  I had a block replaced 35k ago and the head gaskets are leaking and SOA is refusing to cover them.  Quotes from a shop range from $2800 to $5700.  Has anyone done it?  I've heard it is a PITA and the entire engine has to be removed from the car, but there's not a whole lot of information available.

I'm not aware of a write-up. All FAs and FBs will be largely similar. Newer ones have direct injection (mechanical fuel pump) and electronic thermostat that you don't have to worry about.

Engine out, for sure. Timing cover/chains off. Valve covers, cam carriers and then heads off. We see a ton of leaking upper oil pans and oil level switches (might not apply if it's a Forester), so I would recommend pulling that all and resealing it while the engine is out.

There are a bunch of Orings and such, but most of the job is FIPG. Using it correctly and adequately is crucial to a successful repair, too much and you clog your oil passages, not enough and it leaks more than it did before. I've seen trained, but new, Subaru technicians need a couple tries to get the timing cover to seal completely.

13 hours ago, Numbchux said:

I'm not aware of a write-up. All FAs and FBs will be largely similar. Newer ones have direct injection (mechanical fuel pump) and electronic thermostat that you don't have to worry about.

Engine out, for sure. Timing cover/chains off. Valve covers, cam carriers and then heads off. We see a ton of leaking upper oil pans and oil level switches (might not apply if it's a Forester), so I would recommend pulling that all and resealing it while the engine is out.

There are a bunch of Orings and such, but most of the job is FIPG. Using it correctly and adequately is crucial to a successful repair, too much and you clog your oil passages, not enough and it leaks more than it did before. I've seen trained, but new, Subaru technicians need a couple tries to get the timing cover to seal completely.

I'm not sure that I'm going to tackle it, I was under the impression coolant was still running through the head gasket.  Since it's not, seems like the worse case here is a little oil seepage.  If I touch it, it could get a lot worse!