Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Issue with crank pulley rebuilt EA71

Hello All,

A little background.  I bought a 79 Brat with an EA71 last year that had a bad piston.  I pulled the motor and took it to a shop that specialized in Subaru engines which was recommended.  They machined the heads and block and installed new pistons.  I got the motor back from them and began the process of putting installing all of the accessories (new oil pump, water pump, clutch etc.).  This is where I am running into my issue.  When I brought the motor in the crank pulley was attached.  When I brought the motor home they had removed it.  Now the pulley does not seem to sit flush and does not align with the water pump pulley.  I wish I would have taken more pictures of the motor before because I'm not really sure if it was like this before I took the motor in.  The guy that did the work claims he doesn't know why it wouldn't line up and I could bring the motor back to him (it kind of a far drive) but I wanted to ask the community to see if it was something I could fix myself easy enough.

See attached pictures of misaligned crank pulley.

The picture of the pulley shows the original wear and another pic shows the shinny wear not seated.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

CrankPulley4.jpg

CrankPulley1.jpg

CrankPulley2.jpg

CrankPulley3.jpg

I am looking at the relevant page in my EA71 parts manual. The only thing that I see between the crankshaft and pulley is the distributor drive crankshaft gear. Perhaps try removing that and then install the pulley without it as a test fit?

79 but which engine? There appears to be the internal passage water pump. That’s the wide case. 

The narrow case or first edition, had the duct from the pump over the deck of the block. 

I’m not sure it’s possible to mess up the two but is that maybe the case here? 

@CrazyeightsWe were thinking of removing the seal and the gear to see this weekend.  I will update what we find.  

@moosensYes it is an internal passage water pump.  I assume there are numbers on the engine?  I'll have my Dad send me them since the engine is at his place.  Could it be possible that the pulley is from a narrow case engine? or maybe the distributor gear?

You will not be removing the gear unless you split the cases. 

Let me wake up some and then maybe I’ll have some vision on this. Foggy notion: are the 1800 and 1600 pumps the same in that 79/80 era? 

Is the starter located dead top center of the bellhousing ? Or is it off to the left like the later EA engines ? 

Still foggy here : what about the key on the shaft. Is the sleeve of the pulley supposed to go over it? Sorry , I actually just had this stuff in my hands last year but I work overnights so just give me some time to think. Thanks. 

@moosens Do you mean water pump?  I put on a brand new one I found on ebay for a ea71 that exactly matched the old one (assume it was the original).  I'm pretty sure the starter is top center, I'll have my dad double check tonight.

The pulley does go over the shaft and into the key but it seems to bottom out before it is fully seated.  Doesn't seem like there would be anyway that it would go further in unless the distributor gear wasn't fully seated (is that possible?) or it was the incorrect gear but the distributer itself does seat fine and engage with the gear.

Yes I meant the water pump. 

In 1980 you get two pumps that look exactly the same but the Automatics have the different part number. That’s one possibility I had forgotten. 

For your reference this engine you have is more like a 1980 1600 and not like a 1978. 

My 79 4wd wagon is the same as your Brat and I have the old style pump. 

In the parts catalog there is an asterisk in the remarks column and that means it’s a new product going forward. So I’d say you have a later production 79. 

What’s the mfg. date on the label on the drivers door? 

@moosens Turns out you were on the right track with the water pump.  When I compare the original to the new one everything is identical except the pulley on the new water pump seems to be pressed in slightly more than the original one (maybe a 1/4 inch or less).  Otherwise the alternator aligns perfectly with the crank pulley.  I was thinking it was the crank pulley the whole time but it is the water pump.  Maybe the water pump is for an automatic like you suggested or maybe they just screwed up when they manufactured it...  either way I'm going to roll with the new one and hopefully the belt doesn't make a lot of noise or have issues.  If it does I'll just switch back to the original water pump which is pretty rusty but seem to function.

Thanks for your help!

Posted (edited)

I had a similar issue on my EA82 rebuild. With the two pump choices I had, the pump bodies, pulleys and pumps shafts are all the same. The only variance is how deep the pulley is pressed onto the shaft. Once I knew that, I just ordered any EA82 water pump and then pulled or pressed the pulley to the correct height required so the belts lined up. No worries about which pump to order as parts get harder to find but you do need to have the ability to change the installed height if you guess wrong on the long or short choice.

Edited by azdave

@azdave I had a hell of a time finding the new water pump.  The one I finally found on ebay came from Indonesia or something NOS supposedly for EA61 or EA71.  I'll see if I can pull out the pulley a bit so it can line up better.  Thanks.

Dave, your issue may have been n/a vs turbo. Turbo pumps came with the studs in place and would extend further as well. 

Hopper , yes that little period of late 78 through 80 (1600s) is sometimes a little tricky. 

And don’t ya know I have a similar problem now with my 79. 
Hadn’t noticed anything until I tried to use the A/C. 
My fan blades are hitting the water pump pulley. I don’t know how I didn’t see that but it happens. Curious to see if there’s any charge left in my a/c after sitting for like 30+ years.