Ultimate Subaru Message Board

custom Y pipe layout pics.

I got out and did some R & D on the new exhaust system. To be honest I don't like the new set up for around town. It is super noisey for one and I'm not looking for any unwanted attention. Especially from the cops. I need to find a way to quiet it down some( add cat or quieter muffler ? I'm not sure).And I lost a little low end power which is what driving around town requires. On the positve side I don't get tail gated as much now.

BUT.... I did my first gravel road run and it definatelly improved my top end power. Between 5 and 6 thousand rpm the car really takes off. quick throttle response and you can tell your in the power band. It's almost scary. Plus it sound better at that rpm. I even reved it to 7k rpm and it didn't seem like it was going to blow up.

So more fun in the dirt but less practical for around town. I guess that doesn't surprise me.

I try and relay to people the result of my mods so they can decide if it's right for them. FYI

That is also why I do one mod at a time so I know what the results are. plus it's easier to fix if I did something wrong or If I didn't like the result I know why.

Looks awesome! However, I am concerned about the collector directly beneath the tranny. Could that cause the tranny to get too hot? Esp. in autocross/rally situations where the speeds are low? I wonder what would happen if you put the collector past the tranny, like, just in front of the center bearing? I have 2 1/4" from the y pipe back with a turbo muffler and it's fine for the street, but when I'm buzzin at 65, the sound is reasonating in the cab. Kinda puts ya to sleep after a few hundred miles, ya know?

Just my .0000002 :D

Looks awesome! However, I am concerned about the collector directly beneath the tranny. Could that cause the tranny to get too hot? Esp. in autocross/rally situations where the speeds are low? I wonder what would happen if you put the collector past the tranny, like, just in front of the center bearing? I have 2 1/4" from the y pipe back with a turbo muffler and it's fine for the street, but when I'm buzzin at 65, the sound is reasonating in the cab. Kinda puts ya to sleep after a few hundred miles, ya know?

Just my .0000002 :D

Good observation. I thought about that believe it or not. I have spent many hours laying under my car.The old set up had one pipe that crosses over in the same spot so I knew it was designed to take some heat but , the collecter deffinatelly exposes the tranny to more heat. I was going to keep an eye on it and if it looked like it was cooking my tranny I would install a heat shield. I know to watch out for that because my old cat converter use to cook my inner cv boot after a while. I will be able to tell because it will start burning the oil on the bottom of the tranny case. See oil leaks in moderation can be useful.

Oh Ya JWX, good idea the quick connect. I like to do something that had a better seal than a clamp they tend to leak.

undr the front diff would be the most ideal spot for the collector. you could even make aheat shield.

with all involved making such a pipe, why not try a dual pipe. do one that comes off the heads like this one, but instead of the collector have the pipes converge in an 'X' right under the front diff, then go along the sides just inside of the frame rails, and then have a flange for different muffler or pipe setups after.

looks nice like jesse james put it together himself:)

but would that really matter that much I mean you'd probably be changing it every couple of days/weeks (you could also double clamp that might help)

try a couple times a day. I need two cars,or two clamps. No I need three cars the rally car, the full on stomper 4x4, and the town ride to haul around my ladies.:D