Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1989 DL dies at low rpm

I drive an 89 DL Wagon. Following some amature mechanics it has developed a debilitating problem. Regardless of engine temp whenever I hit the gas from a dead stop the engine dies. With my foot off the gas it idles fine and doesn't stall. I can get it to drive by very very slowly applying throttle. The process of gaining enough rpms to release the clutch pedal without stalling takes about 45 seconds. Once this has been completed I can drive in first gear. If I simply shift into second as one would normally do than the car will die once again. The process used to get the car into first gear can be repeated while rolling in order to get into second. Once it's in second than it runs pretty well through the other 3 gears.

Speculated causes are incorrect timing or other distrubutor problems, cat oxygen sensor failure, or my personal favorite; exhaust rebreathing!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

-bikepo

Exhuast rebreathing? Thats a new one on me. Whoever told you it was the O2 sensor is clueless. You can run just fine w/o the O2 sensor.

Sounds like fuel delivery me. It's as iff you have just enough fuel to idle but not enough when you add seriouse air. Is this a carbed or FI engine?

You said it developed after some amature mechanics did work? What did they touch?! That is where I would start looking :)

It is a FI engine. The fuel filters have been changed recently and the injector looks like it is working properly (it's spitting out fuel as expected). Could it be an intake manifold gasket leak or a throttle position sensor? Also on top of the thermostat assemble there is a bracket upon which several (3 I think) small rubber hoses connect. These hoses are connected to what I believe to be a charcoal canister. I broke one of the hard lines attached to the bracket and have not repaired it yet. So as of right now one of the three hoses is disconnected. The only other problems with the car are a leaking water pump (dear god please give me a weekend off!). When I first bought the car it would stall when cold. This problem has either mysteriously gone away on it's own or it is masked by the much more annoying problem I am facing now. I took it to a dealer and wasted 80 bucks to have them hook it up to their computer. They told me that the computer is broken. More specifically it is spitting out codes that don't apply to this car. They wanted 700 bucks to fix it. I think they were full of ****.

The amature mechanics were to seperate the engine and transmission and pull the engine forward in order to change the oil pan gasket. In this process the distrubutor was also removed. When everything went back together it ran fine except for a horrid exhaust leak. This was fixed...poorly...and now the vechicle has the previously mentioned problems.

Thanks for the replies, I truly appreciate it.

vacuum leak, cant have any of those or you will have described problems
Yes, start by plugging up those 3 hoses you currently have dissconnected. See how she behaves then.

Also borrow a timing light and make sure you got the dizzy set properly. With the SPFI it should be set to 20 degrees BTDC. Removing it and putting it back can open a can of worms :( Might be a whole tooth off and its not advancing enough for you when you try to accelerate.

Report back with thy findings good sir :drunk: