Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 EA82 cam noise?/oil pressure

So, I have an 86 GL wagon with the EA82 carburated engine, the engine is fairly young, the cars 3rd heart, with around 100k miles on the clock.... however from time to time, frequently when making freeway trips or any time there is a consistant high speed the oil pressure seems to drop and the cams begin to make rattling noises, the temp stays about the same. Is this typical? I've heard a lot of other rattling subs around town but it seems like im trashing my almost new engine... do i need a new oil pump? seals? heavier oil? a new WRX? who knows?? let me know before it blows up!!!

thanks

subie

Start easy and cheap........ add a quart of "Marvel Mystery Oil" to the crank case. If that doesn't work go to a 50w oil. Finally, you probably need a new oil pump gasket, and while your in there change the oil pump, water pump and T-belts too. At idle your pressure can drop to just shy of nothing, but at operating speed you should have pressure. Welcome to the board, Tim

right on!! thanks for the warm welcome... the oil im currently using, on 1700 miles since change is Mobil 10-30 prob a little thin...i was advised to step up to straight 30 weight and call it good, but i would assume a little mystery oil would help too.. It is quite a project to change the pump on the overhead cam engine right? sounded super easy on a push rod model but looks a little itme consuming on this one.. better than ruining my engine right? thanks again

champ

its not much different to change the oil pump seal than on the old pushrod, but you do have to take all the plastic timing belt covers. here is what will be involved

http://www.warpthree.com/milesfox/subaru/service/oilpump.htm

take it from me, and leave all the plastic covers off, and that will make any fture maintenance a breeze, say a 3 hour timing belt job can be done in 20 minutes!

read more:

http://www.warpthree.com/milesfox/subaru/service/service.htm

so i tired a few remedies, added "power punch" to up the viscosity of the oil, which seems like a nice product but didnt work... new filter ant 15-50 castrol high milage oil and a new pressure sending unit, guage reads better but valve train still rattles....

so today i took the beast, still under warranty on its engine replacment from last year in to the shop. about an hour later they call me back and assure me that the problem was a sticky lifter, and that they have solved it by using and additive and refreshing the oil!!! great!

pick up the car

drive up the freeway about 4 miles w/ ac on

off ramp___ tick tick tick tick tick.....

so its back at the shop to supprised mechanics.. who are usually good.. since its such a new rebuild i figured i better just let them mess with it, who knows..