Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OK I've so far determined that the viscous coupler is caising the torque binding, it is a sealed unit that can't be serviced and is a dealer only part. Called the local salvage yards and none have a subaru in the yard.

I need some places to get this part. Also does it have a different name? None of the internet search sites have a "viscous coupler" on the drop down list.

Any suggestions of where to look are greatly appreciated. For the time being I have the rear drive shaft removed but I'd like to get this fixed before winter.

BTW its a 96 Legacy Outback 2.2L

Peter

I am from Slippery Rock, PA and there is a big forign junkyard in Harmony, PA. hey have a bunch of Legacys and Imprezas from the Mid to late 90s. Lemme know what you are looking for and I can stop out and let you know what they have, get a price, etc.

Vince's Auto Wrecking in Lockport NY.

I do not have the phone number, may be able to find on line.

He ships everywhere as far as I know.

Bought a bunch for my Subaru including a replacement motor with only 88 miles on it. He gets cars which have been used for crash testing.

Bought front spindles and complete caliper and rotor setups from him,

He was also able to get me a used rack for a "right hand drive" Subaru seeing as I have a "postal" legacy.

swi66

OK I've so far determined that the viscous coupler is caising the torque binding, it is a sealed unit that can't be serviced and is a dealer only part. Called the local salvage yards and none have a subaru in the yard.

I need some places to get this part. Also does it have a different name? None of the internet search sites have a "viscous coupler" on the drop down list.

Any suggestions of where to look are greatly appreciated. For the time being I have the rear drive shaft removed but I'd like to get this fixed before winter.

BTW its a 96 Legacy Outback 2.2L

Peter

If your center diff is locked, first make sure that all your tires are the same size and same treadwear or you will eat the new tranny. You could also install a drive line lock and just unlock the rear driveshaft but that'd only work if the viscous coupling is fully fuzed... But yeah, make sure your tires are all the same brand, model, and size, or you will eat teh new tranny. Also make sure they are all the same level of tread wear (new tires on the front and bald on the back will eat the tranny as well!)

• 1 year later...
I am from Slippery Rock, PA and there is a big forign junkyard in Harmony, PA. hey have a bunch of Legacys and Imprezas from the Mid to late 90s. Lemme know what you are looking for and I can stop out and let you know w

hat they have, get a price, etc.

do they have a 96 wrx. gooday i am fairley new here, doing an ej18 to ej20t manual transmission need clutch pedal, gearbox crossmember and flywheel...help me please..