Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Boneyard '87 distributor

Today I hope to take the '88 I just got up to my daughter, and I want to drive her '87 back. not an even trade, but that's how it is. A neighbor of hers has the '87 distributor out, and says the ignition module is shot, and there is play in it as well.

The numbers on the distributor are

22100AA053

D4P84-03

Autozone wants $200, which is why I will look for one at the wrecker, but I'm told there are two distributors listed for '87 N/A SPFI 5-speed.

Can I just try to find one at the wrecker that has matching numbers and hope it will work?

Thanks,

Ray Mac

Yup

I have used junkyard distributors with pretty good success. Any 87+ SPFI or MPFI Turbo distributor should work. I know you say there are 2 of them, but I have only ever seen one for the optical type used in 87 - 94 SPFI.. Careful though, the wiring pigtail for 88 and up is different from the 87. Don't let that dissuade you however, as the wiring pigtails can be removed and swapped in about 2 minutes.

PS its possible the 2nd distributor listed for the 87 is the carb distributor with the vacuum advance..

spfi and mpfi, turbo optical disty's(87+) are mechanically the same. but between turbo and non turbo, the rotor will be slightly different, but one rotor will fit on the other(round shaft will fit the d-shaft)

but like caleb mentions the wiring may be different, but the wire itself will swap between disty housings