Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to open the hood ?

I went to check the oil, I pulled the hood un-latch, and it brought with it a foot of cable. Finally, I pulled the whole thing out in one fatal drag. So, how do I open my hood now ? I could probably do it by demolishing the grill, but I would like to save it. The latch mechanism seems rather sealed up from the front side to prevent thiefs from opening it up. Can I get at it manually ?

87 GL-10 Turbo 5-speed.

Thanks,

Chad L

Oshkosh, WI

Get the grill off. Then you can stick your hand behind the latch between tye AC condenser (if you have one) and the latch itself. Its a REALLY tight fit; I have pretty long/skinny fingers so that helped. On the drivers side of the latch; trace how the cable comes into the latch mechanizm. Then just pull on the latch where the cable is attached to it. Also helps to have your other hand pushing down onto the hood to relieave some pressure on the latch.

Good luck

I haven't had a cable on my '87 wagon for some time now (guy at the tire shop pulled it out for me :-\ ), I just reach up under the bumper and trip it with my finger, no A/C though. I should see if it can be done on my RX with A/C, just in case.

Gary