Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 98 OB 122k w/2.5 and 4EAT xmission has started to develop an intermitant problem - while acclerating from stopped or slow speed to say 25 40 MPH. It seems to delay a shift from 2nd to 3rd. It's not slip since the spedo and tach are both moving and it happens rarely although I think it is occuring more often. I can control it a bit with the throtle pedal.

I took the car to a trans shop where they ran the codes and found nothing. They also though it could be the TPS but that seems to be ok.

I checked the fluid - its level, color and smell are OK (I change it every 25K or so)

I looked in my Haynes and it says that the bands may need to be tightened. Yet the trans shop said they don't do that anymore since the trannys are electronically controlled.

They suggested that they test drive it with the OBD hooked up and monitor the shift command to see if its a TCU problem. Failling all else they suggested a teardown and inspection for 500 bucks.

Any ideas?

As a former Service manager for Toyota/Subaru I suggest taking it to a good Subaru dealer for their diagnosis. Trany shops are like roofers......... some good ones out there, but a load of incompedents.

A dealer may charge a fee for the diagnosis but it is worth it and cheaper in the long run.

Later

Cadetman, that is very good advice I wish I would have had it last month. We took our Saturn to a transmission shop for rough shifting they took it apart and rebuild it for 1800.00. The problem was still their when they finished so we took it to Saturn dealer and they found it was the valve body. The cost to fix it was around 500.00 dollars. So we wasted 1300.00. ( we took it back to transmission shop and made them fix it. they said they replaced the valve body but it must have been bad according to them.)

• 2 years later...
My 98 OB 122k w/2.5 and 4EAT xmission has started to develop an intermitant problem - while acclerating from stopped or slow speed to say 25 40 MPH. It seems to delay a shift from 2nd to 3rd. It's not slip since the spedo and tach are both moving and it happens rarely although I think it is occuring more often. I can control it a bit with the throtle pedal.

I took the car to a trans shop where they ran the codes and found nothing. They also though it could be the TPS but that seems to be ok.

I checked the fluid - its level, color and smell are OK (I change it every 25K or so)

I looked in my Haynes and it says that the bands may need to be tightened. Yet the trans shop said they don't do that anymore since the trannys are electronically controlled.

They suggested that they test drive it with the OBD hooked up and monitor the shift command to see if its a TCU problem. Failling all else they suggested a teardown and inspection for 500 bucks.

Any ideas?

When was the last time you had the transmission flushed?