Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Southwest meet, anyone?

not a bad idea, utah's also a good place for trails, but im out of commission for a while with my car, i may be undergoing some major rebuilds soon (tranny, Dshaft, blah blah blah), and i know others are not able to go till at least next year so if we wanted a committee there's no reason i see to get it started in a rush except to get some cool stickers on our cars. which isnt such a bad reason itself. heck, i changed my mind, im fine with one!

tell your fiance not to worry, we subaru owners will give our word that we will not be uneducated, lousy loudmouth partyheads. well, at least not this trip. after all, were not driving hondas. :lol:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris -- Bratcrazy works at Bryce Canyon National Park, he may know what is available in that general area? Bryce is pretty area!

I just checked and he hasn't posted since January.

I'd enjoy some trail driving in that area. :D

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

it's all good. but much past the distance of the canyons i have to request leave... that whole stupid military rule of out of bounds... usually it's a 500 mile radius around the base... but ours got shrunk down to 300... some crazy drunks went and got killed and i think that weekend there was 25 alcohol related incidents in one weekend... all relitively close to yuma too...

no problem on the staying quiet part. i was expecting a more family going atmosphere. usually every subaru meet i've been to has been extremely laid back. not to worry about us all being crazy and wild. just on driving the trail. otherwise i'm a fairly calm person.

definately would have to say january to febuary start organizing more detail. i can talk to tex and maybe get a run of stickers ran up, when it comes close to time.

as for pheonix. not very familiar. but i know where a lot of trails are. most are more difficult and a lot are pushing the limits of my car....

the grand canyons, big bear national forest, or maybe utah if i can get it all approved for leave. but i still got to save some of that leave to go moab this spring also...

i was thinking a weekend trip. especially if we can nail a holiday weekend of some sort. that would give me a 96hr or 4 day weekend. plenty of time to drive up and live up the camping life.

Semper Fidelis,

Jared

heh, howabout spring break? :rolleyes:

wait a minute, thats just for me.

memorial day, perhaps (last monday of may)? or even armed forces day (third sat. in may), there's no way you guys dont celebrate that. MLK day's a little early... flag day's (june 14th) a little late... mother's day (2nd sunday in may) perhaps. you wouldnt happen to celebrate april fools as a holiday, would you?

I'll be down that way this weekend (St. George) and then again in February around presidents day--for the UROC Rock Crawling. There will be too much snow in the high country for any wheeling in Feb. As far as that goes, I understand that they may have several feet of snow already :-\

I still need to arrange a tow vehicle for the buggy :eek:

Moab would be my first choice for a real Subaru get together???

Just thinking...

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

Moab would be my first choice for a real Subaru get together???

I live 1.5 hours from Moab - I'm down there riding my bike all the time, and I'm looking forward to running *some* of those trails with the Wagon.

If there's a group going down there, I'm in. My rommie and his Hatch will prolly come too.

I lived in the Mobe for year, so I know the place pretty well.

I think Posion Spider would be a good subie trail, or maybe Flatpass (Steel Bender). It'll be interesting to drive trails I know so well from the bike. Of course, on the bike I'm going MUCH faster and jumping offa stuff... And then's there's all the trails that not even the motos can ride.:lol:

Rooinater: What trails have you done out there? Have you gotten into Pritchett or anything of the sort? Also, does a welded diff blow up axles on slick rock? This was a consideration for me in going LSD.

I don't know of any Soobs that have done any of the Moab area trails?

I was also thinking Poisen Spider would be a good test for the little Subies. If they can get past the first difficult obsticale then I'd think they'd be good the rest of the way.

As for Steel Bender, I think that's dooable accept for the one cliff (if you started from the golf course side). I'm worried about that cliff and the stuff just below it??? As for doing Steel bender/flat pass starting by Ken's lake, I think we'd be unable to scale the cliff with out a winch vehicle up top to get the Subs up the cliff.

I'd think Fins and Things, Hells revenge and Kane Creek would be possibilities.

I'm pretty sure my tires will just bark rather than break axles/diffs. However I think the biggest problem will be angle of approach and flex without a welded diff. The other thing would be stock gearing with oversized tires. Gearing and flex is everything in Moab.

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

i understand the distance to civilization! it's 2 and a half to 3 hours to any decent sized town... san bernadino, northern AZ and utah sounds good! early spring would probably be best. if it's more than a 300 mile radius from yuma i have to put in special requests... and for moab i'll have to request leave... man how i can't wait to be a civilian.

but i hope to go wheeling with you guys. i have all the parts but the steel to finish my lil' roo project for now. then i start #2....... hehehehe.....

Hate to break this to you Rooinator, but you will never be a "civilian" again. The closest you will come is being a Veteran, as I am. Moreover, you will always be a Marine (guessing from your avitar). This is a good thing, BTW, as it is folks like you and I that have served to protect those that could not better protect themselves that make the civilisation we live in a possability. I thank you for your service to our country. If you are interested, I was in the Army in the early 80's.

Hate to break this to you Rooinator, but you will never be a "civilian" again.

i'm fully aware of that. i see how my uncle is after being out for 20 years. he still has the blood of a marine in him. That's why we have the phrase, "Once A Marine, Always A Marine!" and another reason i joined the corp. but it will be nice not to have restrictions limiting me to where i can and can't go on my weekends. without having to do a weeks worth of request forms and loops. I know i'll forever be a marine and have a completely differant view of the world once i get back from iraq and when my contract ends. Thank you!!

I'm not too worried about the axles or diffs breaking. especially if you are running stock gearing. but yes it's always a possiblility. as with any time you go off the unbeaten path. haven't been there yet. but me and sweet 82 have been trying to arrange it for awhile now. and i'm hoping we'll get to do it this year. and with lots of luck we will be able to get ken, eric and john down that away too. and maybe some more of the dual tcased cars. and also try to get some even further adventure into some of the other trails... who knows! i still have to put the solidrear axle on my car...

I was also thinking Poison Spider would be a good test for the little Subies. If they can get past the first difficult obsticale then I'd think they'd be good the rest of the way.
Yeah, that first slickrock chute after the river rock switchbacks could be tough. The "wedge" has a bypass, and the stairs outa the sandpit should be doable. My biggest worry is the steep car-length ramp off the "parking lot". (not the real lot, but the flast spot halfway up were the jeepers congretgate) I think the wagon will lawn-dart bumper first into the sand coming off it. I'm not aware of a bypass there... The slickrock out by the arch is a little hairy (off camber/steep) but the low COG will prolly make it easy.

Also, there's those half-buried fins, but I think we could angle through um. Could test similar terrain on Klondike without driving way out to the middle of nowhere.

Out to the viewpoint on Porky Rim would be fun but short. It'd be worth it just for the photo op.

As for doing Steel bender/flat pass starting by Ken's lake, I think we'd be unable to scale the cliff with out a winch vehicle up top to get the Subs up the cliff.

Cliff? I guess everthing looks doable on the bike, I've never noticed anything too big (that doesn't have bypass). Kens-> Golf course is the only way I've done this trail. Slightly more downhill that way. Mmmmmm multiple desert water crossings....

I'd think Fins and Things, Hells revenge and Kane Creek would be possibilities.

Back of Behind -> Pritchett arch would be good too. Although I'm not going down that canyon on four wheels.:eek:

Hells revenge sounds a bit daunting, but Finn & Things would definetly be a good trial run though. You ever been on Little Canyon Rim? I think Mirror Gulch is Subieable. Could explore Gold Bar a bit from there.

Putting a Subie up on top of the Lion's Back fin would be the coolest thing ever.... as longs as you don't lose yer brakes coming down like that Blazer did a few years ago....

I also wanna do some multiday runs into the Needles/Maze. Not hard wheelin' but it's difficult to get back there by bike, as you can't carry enough water without a trailer. Also very boring riding by bike. (Scenery makes up for it) Sheet, just driving around the Whiterim will be cool.

...is any of this stuff something a push button hi 4 non-lifted vehicle w/ 26" can do, or is a lift/lockers/dr necessary for the moab trip? am planning a d/r swap but i doubt it will get done too soon. a.k.a. not in winter.

just wondering, is the moab thing a separate trip from the original 'family oriented' trip?

Rooinator and I were discussing this a while back...

We'd have to limit some of this foolishness to modified vehicles. Some of these trails just out class a stock subie :( There are many other trails to challenge stock subies. Even a modified Sub would have problems if it's not geared. The key to Moab is Creeping!!!!

On Steel bender the entrance/exit by Kens lake would be possible as long as the river is not raging. There is one place on Steel bender just before the Flat Pass trail that has no bypass and it is a CLIFF! Everything else on Steel bender has bypasses allowing a modified Sub to choose their poisen :brow:

Lions back isn't possible with any normal Sub. The start is around 60 degrees and continues for the first 30 feet and then it goes up from there! The approach is sand and there is no way to get a run at it. With all the burned rubber on the start it is slick and they charge you to climb it now :mad: A stock geared Sub with big tires has no chance.

I'd be happy to lead a trip into Hells Revenge. Overhang and gears are the only real problems with Subs on that trail. Tight turns on slick rock could be a problems for welded diff folks. But I'm not sure you could do the trail w/o a welded diff :-\

Porcupine rim and Klondike Bluff are dooable. White Rim is illegal for Off-road vehicles! I couldn't take Summer on that one without getting a ticket.

The bottom line...We'll have to match the trails to the vehicles on the Moab Trip.

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer--would need some mods before Moab

01 Forester--White Rim trail rated!

Subaskeet, This is a seperate trip from what we were talkin about earlier. I'd like a nice 3+ to 4 trail for the first (family) trip.

alright, sounds good. wish i could get geared up for the moab trip but alas my monetary funds are at a constant low for a while thus my off-road-worthiness-making skills are limited without parts. just for kicks, feel free to post the requirements when you choose the place. thanks, skeet

I'd be happy to lead a trip into Hells Revenge.

Well, I'll be happy to follow then. I only sorta know the Hells Revenge route, mostly from were it crosses the bike route. During Jeep Safari, I go out there (on the bike) to watch the carnage and bum beers. And show up the Jeepers sans engine.

White Rim is illegal for Off-road vehicles! I couldn't take Summer on that one without getting a ticket.

Whaddya mean? The White Rim is dirt road! If your buggy isn't registered I guess they might make a fuss, but it gets plenty of trafffic otherwise. I've seen ATV's and unregistered motos out there. The tour companies run 15 passanger vans around it!

The bottom line...We'll have to match the trails to the vehicles on the Moab Trip.

True dat. I'll bring my Banshee [mt. bike] in case we need a tow. :)

...is any of this stuff something a push button hi 4 non-lifted vehicle w/ 26" can do, or is a lift/lockers/dr necessary for the moab trip? am planning a d/r swap but i doubt it will get done too soon. a.k.a. not in winter.
Monitor & Merimac, Gemini Bridges and all the Natty Park routes are available, and should be no problem for a stock roo.

White Rim is dirt but there is a big sign before you enter it stating your vehicle must be state inspected to drive on this trail. This eliminates all Off-road vehicles from driving on it. Last time I was on the White Rim Officer Friendly put up a road block way the heck in and ticketed everyone in my group that didn't have a valid STREET registration on their bikes. My Yamaha was the only one in the group to not be cited. My Buggy is Off-road registered :-\

Hells Revenge weaves all through the Slick Rock Bike/MOTORCYCLE :grin: trail, so if you like that type of terrain, Hells Revenge is identical execpt for Vehicles not bikes. The nice thing about Hells is its all on slick rock and there is very little sand or dirt so it's FUN to drive on. It's heaven on a Trials Bike:-p

There are also several good harder trails off the Gemini Bridges trails--Metal Masher, might be fun to damage some Subarus on that one :grin:

here's a jist of what i know i'll be putting for restrictions for a moab trip. at minimum... this wouldn't be for the other more family style get together.

Requirements for Moab:

minimum 3" lift

Lincoln Locked rear end

4 or 5 speed d/r

26" tires a bare minimum, at least 27" prefered

body damage is not a worry in your mind (i don't want to here complaining "i scratched it...)

offroad driving experience!!! especially for any difficult trails. the easier ones i don't really mind. but on the more technical trails driving experience is necesary!!

spare parts; front axles, rear axles, rear diffs, stub axles, and any other common or possibly common broken parts specific to your vehicle. (parts could be as awhole or individually carried and collected. as long as these parts at minimum are there)

recovery and safety equipment; tow rope, come-a-along, fire exinguisher, first aid kits, snatch blocks..........

Suggested Mods:

Dual Tcases

weber

winch

solid axles or other major suspension mods to make the trail easier.

if possible i'm going to also try gather up some of the more modified rigs off the board. and maybe we can go do some of the harder trails also.

i'd really like to do lions back! always have wanted to try since i was like 14. but i'll probably wait till the new little roo is done. but right now i have 3 times lower gearing than you guys!! :) which is lower than that blazers was!

sorry for jacking post...

The problem with the LSD is on 3.5+ trails is you will pickup wheels. With the limited travel we have there is no doubt that it's going to happen. Unless you are locked your going to stop at that point. In many places there is no way to use the Sudden Impact method of hill climbing. :grin: Other spots you'll be tetering between one front and one rear wheel grappleing for traction. :eek:

I'm lifted, locked, winched, with a shortend wheel base, oversized tires and a serious weight reduction and I'm not sure I'm setup for some of the crap Moab has to throw at us. The vehicles that will accel will be the solid axle transfer cased Subarus.

Having said that I think that if we match the trails to the group/class of vehicles we'd be ok, the idea is to not get in over our heads and embarras our selves and Subarus in general. It would be cool to prove our vehicles and technologies to others that may doubt our capabilities.

Buy a used diff and weld it! :cool:

You could probably swap it out in 15 minutes :rolleyes:

Buy a used diff and weld it!
I've got an extra diff, and was planning on doing this anyhow.

I'd say Poison Spider is my goal at this time; If I can reach the Portal I'll be pretty satisfied. I don't think a locked diff will be needed for that.... But I don't know, I haven't tried. After all, my wagon's only been lifted for 2 days!

If you guys wanna do harder trails, I'll prolly bust out the bike and come along to watch. I *know* my car isn't equipped for Cliff Hanger or the like.

i was planning on a trail difficulty progression. start around 3.5+ and go up. they have a 5 rating system up there, same as arizona. lincoln locker really is more of a need out in the rocks. i have a lincoln locker in the rear and a LSD in the front. plus i should have a solid toy axle in the rear by then. so i'm not too worried about the over-the-head part. i usually can tell if it's gonna make it or not. after the rear axle, i'm making a 1/4 inch skid plate for the t-case... i'm more worried about the less modified than my own.

Sounds like there are two trips in the works.

One for the family trip to the Grand Canyon area and one to Moab.

I guess around the first of the year we can start a specific thread for each one.

Sounds like it will be a great time.