Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ Series engine in a 1st gen Brat?

There was a guy in Aussy that put a STi motor into a gen 1 Brat. Anything is possible with engineering. I'm gonnabe putting a Datsun truck front suspension and rear end with 4-link setup into a gen 1 Brat. Then it'll be powered by 400hp 2.8 v6 and a 5-speed for those nice highway cruises:D

Anything is Possible, its all about time and Money.......???

I've seen some real crazy stuff happen to Gen one Rides in the Last few Years...

at most you'll have to french the Frame horns for the Motor a Bit......EJ Motor might actually just fit....its no Wider than an EA-81 and I stuffed a 2.2 and 1.8 EJ into a Wagon and HAtch of the second Gen vintage.....and I've stuffed many Ea-81 Motors and Trannies into Gen one Brats And Wagons......

E-mail me if you Like, We can chat more about it.......John

well I am looking into going the EJ-22 route with my 76 and tomorrow I am gonna measure the engine bay of the 83 cause I was given an interesting measurement for a gen 2 wagon of another board members that has a EJ-22 in his and see if it's the same exact measurement as the EA-81 in the same vehicle if it is then yeah you will be able to make it fit with no troubles just be fairly close to the framerails right next to the heads

I have a 78 Brat and a EJ22 donor car laying around. And it's getting really tempting for me to try. I have all the blue prints for the wiring. Its a must to use a Legacy tranny, cuz for starters the gearing in gen1's are way to low. 4000 rpm at 65 is ridiculous If I knew how to weld I would be installing my EJ22 right now.