Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alternator/Voltage Regulator Questions...

Many thanks to WagonsOnly for the alternator! It was a nice drive up to Northern CT this afternoon...

Anyway, I didn't even look at the alternator when I grabbed it from him. It turns out it has the wrong pulley on it - Serpentine vs. V-Belt. I can't get the pulley off for the life of me, so I'm wondering if I can simply yank the voltage regulator out of the good alternator and slap it into the bum one.

Has anyone ever taken apart an EA82 Alternator?

I know, I know, reman. units from the Auto Parts store can be had for 50-60 bucks, but right now, I don't have that money...

Anyone? Looking for experience taking an alternator apart.

Have you gotten the nut off that holds the pulley? If not, try an impack wrench; that will get it off.

Many thanks to WagonsOnly for the alternator! It was a nice drive up to Northern CT this afternoon...

Anyway, I didn't even look at the alternator when I grabbed it from him. It turns out it has the wrong pulley on it - Serpentine vs. V-Belt. I can't get the pulley off for the life of me, so I'm wondering if I can simply yank the voltage regulator out of the good alternator and slap it into the bum one.

Has anyone ever taken apart an EA82 Alternator?

I know, I know, reman. units from the Auto Parts store can be had for 50-60 bucks, but right now, I don't have that money...

Anyone? Looking for experience taking an alternator apart.

How do I keep the internals from spinning? I haven't tried my impact wrench yet, but I am wondering how to keep the stuff from spinning.

Edit: I'm thinking now if I'm not concerned about the pulley on the new alternator, I can just use a vise or big vise gripes and a pipe...But that still leaves me with getting the pulley off my old alternator...

Still looking for anyone who has actually taken one apart.

I may take you up on that offer for the other alternator if you're gonna be down here anytime soon. Don't want to make you drive down for nothing...

Have you gotten the nut off that holds the pulley? If not, try an impack wrench; that will get it off.

You'll need to wrap the pulley with a few shop rags to protect it, and then get it cranked into a big bench vise. Then, as is mentioned above, an impact wrench is ideal, but if you're feeling mighty, a big breaker bar might work.

Instead of the rags, maybe a belt that's a little too big (so it sticks out past the diameter of the pulley) might work?

This is the way I've seen it done... hope this helps!

If you haven't gotten the pulleys swapped yet, you can swap the rear cover and stator windings from the good one to the front half of your old one.

Remove the bolts holding the case halves together on both units. Keep the stator windings with the rear cover on the good one.

On the backside of the rear cover, there's a small hole in-line with the brushes, use a paper clip thru the hole to hold the brushes in the retracted position. Do one at a time, and the most rearward one first.

Put the casing halves back together and bolt them together. Now remove the paper clip. You should be good to go.

While you have it apart, take a good look at the slip rings where the brushes ride. They should be somewhat smooth, and not pitted. A little and light touch with some fine emery paper will clean them up, if needed. Wipe them down good if you do that, the grit will eat-up the rings and brushes if left on there.

Great info - thanks. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

If you haven't gotten the pulleys swapped yet, you can swap the rear cover and stator windings from the good one to the front half of your old one.

Remove the bolts holding the case halves together on both units. Keep the stator windings with the rear cover on the good one.

On the backside of the rear cover, there's a small hole in-line with the brushes, use a paper clip thru the hole to hold the brushes in the retracted position. Do one at a time, and the most rearward one first.

Put the casing halves back together and bolt them together. Now remove the paper clip. You should be good to go.

While you have it apart, take a good look at the slip rings where the brushes ride. They should be somewhat smooth, and not pitted. A little and light touch with some fine emery paper will clean them up, if needed. Wipe them down good if you do that, the grit will eat-up the rings and brushes if left on there.