Ultimate Subaru Message Board

89 Subaru DL

HI,

We recently replaced the timing belts on this one. everything seemed fine until I drove it home 3 miles away from the spot where we replaced the belts, and now the car overheats. I removed the radiator cap when the car was cold and turned on the engine. After about 20 seconds the water starts gurgling out of the radiator fill. So I'm wondering what the problem could be. Someone said the block was cracked, but I'm not giving up that easily. I would like to check out the thermostat, but I can't find it, and this Haynes repair manual is very sketchy. Where is the thermostat located for this model. It is a four-door sedan. 1.8 89 Subaru DL. Also any other input is appreciated. I can follow instructions but the problem is I don't know exactly what to look for.

Thanks for the help

kyle

don't know exactly where the thermostat is, but here are some other things to check that can cause an overheat or rule out your cracked block.

first to rule out a cracked block.

1.) look for oil in the water or vice versa,

2.) do a compression test on all cylinders

these will tell you if you have a cracked block, blown head gasket, bad piston rings etc

other causes of an overheat

1.) bad radiator cap causing loss of presure in the coolant system making your coolant boil at a lower temp triggering the overheat

2.) blockage in the coolant system / radiator restricting flow of cold coolant from the radiator getting into the engine. (also maybe the cause of the coolant gurgling out of the rad so quickly)

3.) low antifreeze/water ratio (should be 50/50) making your coolant system less efficient.

what i would suggest is that you first replace the thermostat (like you've been trying to do) but at the same time, completely flush the coolant system. this is covered in the first chapter of your haynes manual.

also, keep in mind that I AM NOT A MECHANIC! the stuff that other people on here tell you will probably be more accurate than what i can tell you. most of my experience is on big, old V8's and i've only learned stuff about subarus by working on mine.

The thermostat is mounted on top of the engine, right side (passenger side), in the elbow that connects to the upper radiator hose.

But if I understand your story right, it might be something simpler. No overheating before the timing belt job; overheating right after the belt job. This is highly coincidental.... Could you maybe have left off the fan belt (it drives the water pump)? Or simply that you didn't tighten the belt enough, causing it to slip.

Other things I'd check are things that you touched during the belt job -- like the radiator cap, as roxtar says. Or if you drained the radiator for the belt job, make sure it's filled with no air bubbles.

-- Mark

if it only takes 20 seconds of running after a cold start to bubble the water out, then I'd say it's either a cracked head or blown headgasket. it's not going to overheat in 20 seconds. sounds like your exhaust is leaking into the coolant passage...

if it only takes 20 seconds of running after a cold start to bubble the water out, then I'd say it's either a cracked head or blown headgasket. it's not going to overheat in 20 seconds. sounds like your exhaust is leaking into the coolant passage...

So this is not feasibly fixable? Is it worth the trouble to fix, or should I look for another vehicle?

Thanks for the reply.

So this is not feasibly fixable? Is it worth the trouble to fix, or should I look for another vehicle?

Thanks for the reply.

that kind of repair is gonna cost a lot more to fix than the car is probably worth (depending on how much you value your vehicle). Before you write it off completely, you might want to go ahead and do a compression test. that will tell you one way or another if your engine is toast. one more thing, if exhaust is getting into the coolant, then coolant is getting into the exhaust. when it's running, does the exhaust have that sicky-sweet coolant smell? is there a fair amount of steam in the exhaust?

that kind of repair is gonna cost a lot more to fix than the car is probably worth (depending on how much you value your vehicle). Before you write it off completely, you might want to go ahead and do a compression test. that will tell you one way or another if your engine is toast. one more thing, if exhaust is getting into the coolant, then coolant is getting into the exhaust. when it's running, does the exhaust have that sicky-sweet coolant smell? is there a fair amount of steam in the exhaust?

So how do I perform a compression test?

Thanks for your time

So how do I perform a compression test?

Thanks for your time

a compression test uses an air pressure gauge and a hose that has a tip on it that will screw into the spark-plug hole in the cylinder. there are kits available for doing this ($30 or so). you screw the end into the cylinder where the spark plug should go and then crank the engine watching the pressure gauge. i'm not sure what the numbers should be but the forum has a cool little search feature up at the top that should help you find that information.

here is a compression test kit at autozone ($25)

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?UseCase=C001&UserAction=performMoreDetail&Parameters=TRUE%7C%7EScanners+%26+Testers%7C%7ENONE%7C%7ECompression+Tester+Kit%7C%7ENONE%7C%7EFALSE%7C%7EFALSE%7C%7E487835%7C%7E2034%7C%7ECP7827%7C%7ENONE%7C%7E%2424.99%7C%7ENONE%7C%7ENONE%7C%7ENONE%7C%7ENONE%7C%7E1.05%7C%7EEA%7C%7EB%7C%7EACM%7C%7Etrue

and a better one ($40)

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?UseCase=C001&UserAction=performMoreDetail&Parameters=TRUE%7C%7EScanners+%26+Testers%7C%7ENONE%7C%7EProfessional+Compression+Tester%7C%7ENONE%7C%7EFALSE%7C%7EFALSE%7C%7E347021%7C%7E2034%7C%7ECP7828%7C%7ENONE%7C%7E%2439.99%7C%7ENONE%7C%7ENONE%7C%7ENONE%7C%7ENONE%7C%7E1.45%7C%7EEA%7C%7EB%7C%7EACM%7C%7Etrue

check out this thread, it might be helpful

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21068&highlight=compression+test

a compression test uses an air pressure gauge and a hose that has a tip on it that will screw into the spark-plug hole in the cylinder. there are kits available for doing this ($30 or so). you screw the end into the cylinder where the spark plug should go and then crank the engine watching the pressure gauge. i'm not sure what the numbers should be but the forum has a cool little search feature up at the top that should help you find that information.

here is a compression test kit at autozone ($25)

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?UseCase=C001&UserAction=performMoreDetail&Parameters=TRUE%7C%7EScanners+%26+Testers%7C%7ENONE%7C%7ECompression+Tester+Kit%7C%7ENONE%7C%7EFALSE%7C%7EFALSE%7C%7E487835%7C%7E2034%7C%7ECP7827%7C%7ENONE%7C%7E%2424.99%7C%7ENONE%7C%7ENONE%7C%7ENONE%7C%7ENONE%7C%7E1.05%7C%7EEA%7C%7EB%7C%7EACM%7C%7Etrue

and a better one ($40)

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?UseCase=C001&UserAction=performMoreDetail&Parameters=TRUE%7C%7EScanners+%26+Testers%7C%7ENONE%7C%7EProfessional+Compression+Tester%7C%7ENONE%7C%7EFALSE%7C%7EFALSE%7C%7E347021%7C%7E2034%7C%7ECP7828%7C%7ENONE%7C%7E%2439.99%7C%7ENONE%7C%7ENONE%7C%7ENONE%7C%7ENONE%7C%7E1.45%7C%7EEA%7C%7EB%7C%7EACM%7C%7Etrue

check out this thread, it might be helpful

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21068&highlight=compression+test

I just started the car after I checked the thermostat, there isn't one. As far as the exhaust goes there is a fair amount of steam or whitish smoke coming from the muffler.

I just started the car after I checked the thermostat, there isn't one. As far as the exhaust goes there is a fair amount of steam or whitish smoke coming from the muffler.

that could just be oil burning. the important thing to note is whether it smells like burning oil or burning coolant. plus, burning oil will be slightly blue/grey whereas coolant will be almost pure white.

i hope all this helps man,

btw, since no one has said it yet.... welcome to the board