Ultimate Subaru Message Board

adjusting clutch 91' loyale

The cable where it hooks onto your throw out fork is double nuted. Just loosen the outside nut a little then you can freely adjust the inside nut tighter. Then tighten up the outside nut upto the inside nut to secure them again.

By outside nut I mean the one on the end of the cable. The inside nut is between the outside nut and the throw out fork. You might need a vice gribs to hold the cable from spinning while trying to bust that outside nut loose the first time. If you pull back that little boot covering most of the end of the cable you will see a nice metal section to clamp onto with out messing up the cable itself. Besure to slip that boot back when done.

This might get you by for a while but either your cable has stretched (unlikely) or the clutch is on its way out. Can you slip the clutch while its fully enguaged by flooring the gas pedal after a shift? Does it slip if you floor it going up a hill after its fully enguaged? Those are good signs of a worn clutch... or rather a bad signs :(

use the nuts under the hood, to make the cable housing longer, make sure you still have a little free play, so the clutch doesnt have pressure on it all the time.

if you adjust it and it is loose again in a day or 3 then your cable is about to snap, and it would be time to replace it with a junkyard or new one.

hint: its so easy i made my girlfriend pull her junkyard one, and change hers, by herself.