Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 GL 3dr giving me some trouble

fluffy

Well, I've been the proud owner of an '86 GL 3-door "Sport" since May, but for the last month or two, I've been having some problems. It's the EA82 1.8l carbie, btw...

The biggest problem, and also the most recent, is that I can't actually fuel up. Every time I try to put fuel in, it just comes out the overflow. I tried using a piece of copper wire to feel around in the filler tube, but it didn't feel like anything was clogging it. I've only got about 1/8 of a tank left, so I'm not sure I could make it to the nearest good Subaru mechanic.

Another problem is that the rear suspension is very creaky, but only in dry weather. With all the recent rain, it's perfectly silent. Shocks probably need replacing, as the car rides a little low in the rear.

I've been having a couple engine problems too, particularily hesitating from a stand-still. I've replaced the distributor cap and rotor already, and the plugs are good. The battery is 6 months old (taken from my girlfriend's dead Camry), the ignition wires look good too, and the fuel and oil filters are only 4000 clicks old. I changed the oil when I replaced the filters too... The tach jumps around quite a bit on a cold start or if I have the fan running, and the engine misfires when the rear defroster is on (and sometimes the fan). The alternator puts out enough juice, since volts are up around 13-14 when driving and solid at 12 at an idle, so I think it might be the ignition coil.

Those are the main problems, the lesser ones being crappy speakers and squeaky brakes, though I know what to do about those.

One kinda funny thing though is that I thought I needed a new muffler since mine rattles a lot, but after lifting the car and looking under it, the muffler looks fine. Beating it a bit with a rubber mallet though I found the rattle is in the air heater, and something (a rock or tool of some kind - amazing how many sockets I found in the car) is rattling in the pipe or heater. This means I have to remove the entire exhaust system to get whatever it is out of there. So if your muffler sounds like a marble in a tin can, beat it with a mallet!

Anyway, if anyone knows a possible solution (or wants to fix my car for me; I'm in Duncan, BC, btw...) please let me know, as I'd love to get my car fixed up. I've posted a pic of my GL so everyone can drool on it's sexy contours (actually it's not too bad. hardly any rust)

Thanks all, and sorry for the long read...

post-6490-1360275959_thumb.jpg

Well, I pulled the wheel and shroud off my car, and the filler tube is completely rotten. I need a new one. I'm scouting a few wrecking yards today, but if anyone has a filler tube that would fit, let me know. I'm in Duncan BC, though I could probably travel a little ways...

Thanks

your car does have a hatchback but it is known as a 3 dr. a hatchback is totally different then the car you have. Just a little FYI. Also, i like the car...looks good and clean. Also since you are in BC I assume your cars speedo is in klm as opposed to mph? If so send me a pic if you can...i never saw one in metric. subeman@aol.com

Welcome to the board! you will find a bunch of good stuff here and a bunch of good people out on your side of the country.

Matt

Thanks for the info, Matt, I've changed the subject to say 3-door now. Thanks for the compliment, btw, and I'll try and pick up some film tomorrow, as I don't have a digicam yet :mad:

As for the fuel filler pipe, I ripped that all apart (had to take the wheel off too) and clamped a tin can around it. It doesn't leak anymore, but I'll still try and pick up a new fill pipe tomorrow. I think my power problems have something to do with the amount of rust in the fill tube, since some might have fallen into the tank... I hope not, but who knows...

Since you don't have a digi camera don't worry about the pic. it isn't that big of a deal.... When you do the filler neck you might want to plan on removing the tank. The strainer in the tank most likely has rust crap all over it and is most likely to be strangling the fuel pump which will sooner or later die.

Like I said...don't worry about the pic. does that car even have any rust on the body? Wow that thing is cool. (I always had a thing for the 3dr)

Matt

Well, I did the filler neck yesterday (put some rust proof paint on it too), and don't plan on exerting myself too much right now. I might do the tank in the future, but I need to make more money first. Do you mean that I should clean the tank, or replace it?

As for rust, yes there is some rust on it. The trunk has a dent in it, about an inch by 3 inches, and that's mostly rusted. The rest of the car though only has maybe 3 or 4 rust spots the size of a pencil eraser. The wheel wells have a bit of rust though, particularily the one the filler runs through. Other than that, for the $1000 cdn I paid for it, the body only has scratches and "parking lot dents" on it. The engine is pretty clean too...

For pictures though, I think I can borrow a camera from work. I sell electronics, including cameras, and a couple of the other guys there have borrowed them before.

*edit*

btw, the filler neck cost me $65! Too much for a chunk of metal, imo... At least I found another hubcap there...

Well, I got some pics for you Matt, the only thing is theyre BIG! I borrowed a 5-megapixel camera from work, so they're bloody huge pictures. If you want the full-size pics I can send them like that, but they're over 2 megs a picture. I'll scale them down if you want though...

Btw all, here's a pic of the old filler pipe vs. the new one. The fatter pipe on the old one is supposed to be 2 inches longer, but those 2 inches broke off when I pulled it out. You can probably see the remains of the mounting screws in the top of the pipe too, as I had to drill 2 of them out.

post-6490-136027595965_thumb.jpg

post-6490-136027595973_thumb.jpg

Well, I finally got around to converting that pic of the speedo for you, Matt... Here it is!

Btw, if anyone can help me with my car problems still, that would be great. The main problem is with misfiring with a load on the electrical system (especially the rear defroster. it has a few dead lines, but I don't know if that makes a difference)

post-6490-136027596017_thumb.jpg

I have an idea for you. May sound stupid but I did this to an XT turbo once that missfired and would act strangly. Take some heavy gauge wire and run it between the alternator and the - post of the battery. Make sure you don't put on the + side of the alternator or bad things will happen. Why did this work for me???? My alternator wasn't grounded very well (corosion???) and the wire gave it a better path to ground (duh). My problem was solved and lasted till I sold the car years later. Try it can't hurt.....

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I replaced the ignition coil 2 days ago with a "Super Stock" performance coil, and the difference is noticeable. The engine misfires much less than it did before with the defroster on. It still does misfire a bit, though, and I did notice the car jerk a bit whenever I switch the highbeams on going uphill, which I think is kinda weird... Anyway, that problem is almost resolved, and I'll try grounding the alternator whenever I have time next.

A quick question to Matt though, is which terminals on the alternator should I connect to ground?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I broke down and took the car to a repair shop (at Dad's expense, thankfully) and found that my main problem was the choke being seized off, as well as a vacuum leak making the engine run lean. Also, one of the diodes in the alternator is fried, so I'll need to replace that soon.

They also found that since my muffler doesn't have a tailpipe, the exhaust is going under the bumper and getting sucked inside the car, so every time I drive the car, I'm breathing exhaust fumes... They gave me an estimate for exhaust work to the tune of $1045.74 cdn, though that replaces everything from the engine down. The guy said I only need a new muffler, but I only get a warranty if the whole thing gets done. Considering they quoted me $140 for an OEM muffler, I think I'll just clamp on a decent aftermarket muffler (not Crappy Tire).

2 questions this time around; should I try to replace the diode in the alternator on my own, or should I just go and buy a rebuilt alternator? Also, what would be a good muffler to use on this car? I'm not looking to spend a ton of money, though I'd like something a little better than stock.

Thanks to all...

Simon

Get an alternator of of a car in the junkyard and there shouldn't be a way for the exhaust to be sucked in under the bumper, Its bolted on to the outside of the back. Unless you have some realy honking rust holes in the back, there isn't a path for the fumes. I say keep driving it. I have the remains of a car just like yours. That car was the best. It rusted to pieces. Others may dissagree with me and point out the dangers of carbon monoxide, But i don't think that there is any entry point through the back for the fumes.

Well, it seems Flint Motors in Sidney don't do a great job on Subarus. After two tries, the choke still doesn't work. Apparently I'm supposed to pump the gas twice before I start, and the car's supposed to go up to 2000 rpm, and when I push the gas again, it's supposed to go to a fast idle. Now, the fast idle looks the same as a regular idle, but the whole 2000 rpm thing doesn't happen... Just so I know, is this process pretty normal for a 1.8l EA82 carbie?

Btw, the carb was rebuilt a year ago. Is this a long time, or not?

Thanx!

Well, almost a week and still no answers from anybody... Another question though, does anyone know where I can get a cheap alternator in the Sidney/Victoria area? That's Sidney BC, Canada, BTW... Lordco quoted me $155.95 for a Bosch rebuilt alternator, and that's with a member discount too.

Thanx

you shouldn't have to pump the gas, but you can pump it twice, then start the engine and leave the pedal alone, it should do the fast idle until you tap the pedal, which will kick it down to normal idle. The hitachi carb on that car can be a pain, but mine was remarkably trouble free untill the accelerator pump gave out. check the vaccume hoses running from the carb, one of them runs an actuator right ablve the throttle cable that activates the choke. somehow....

Well, Crappy Tire had rebuilt alternators, and a $75 trade-in on the old core... So for $103 cdn I got a new alt and it fixed all my electrical problems. Now all I have left to do is brakes, muffler, and fix that damn leaky windshield!

Oh, and mount a TV in the dash, install an 8000 watt stereo, re-upholster the seats in shag, put a spoiler on, and completely rice it out...

Just kidding...

• 3 weeks later...