Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Found the front end "knock"

pwoens

It was the "strut bearing plate". This is the plate that mounts to the upper front fender and in turn the strut mounts this plate. There is a bearing inside of there and during the strut replacement I noticed the bearing was shot. Pulled the part off my parts car and it was solid as a rock. No more thud or knock sound when shifting gears like a tard or hitting bumps of any nature.

I just keep getting blown away about how easy these cars are to work on.....once you figure out the order of things:brow:

Found two problems so far.

1) passenger side lower arm mount was loose, so I tightened it....fixed one clunk

2) driver side ball joint was exploded, so I replaced it...fixed second clunk

Now it sounds like a motor mount is broke??? When I kind of leap frog the car you can hear a clunk coming from the center of the car directly in front of the firewall??? Any ideas beside motor mount???\

Boy what a difference with new struts:grin:

Ity is the bar that connects the top of the engine to the fire wall. It has a rubber bushing in it that will dry rot and no longer support your engine.

excellent!!! Thanks!!! I just went through everything underneath and it all looks good. Didnt check up top. Will check it tomorrow. Thanks again everyone!!

RE: pitch stopper...

Is the infamous rot easy to i-ball? Mine looks OK, as do both engine mounts and tranny (5MT) mount, but car has clunked since we got it used every time you change power. (Makes smooth clutch work a challenge.) I have tried playing with "preload" (wherein the front slot the bolt gets tightened) on the stopper, but no change.