Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing belts replaced

romcat

Hey Soobers!

Just got the word from my mechanic that when my 86 AWD DR wagon died on the side of the road it's because one of the timing belts blew out. I assume it has two looking at the diagram in my Haynes Manual!? Anyway, what I'd like to know is what kind of time is this likely to take. Trying to get an idea of what I'll pay in labour charges. My old Mechanic In Toronto where I used to live said 2-3 hours. Does that sound right? What about the cost of the belts themselves? In Canada they're about $30.00 canadian or approx. $22-25.00 USD.

Any info would be helful. Also The thrust washer bearing is gone or going so time for a clutch kit I guess. Again an idea of cost would be helpfule. The car has new front brakes, new tires and new CV joints up front and a July/06 NJ State inspection sticker, so I'd like to keep it on the road for a while longer.

Cheers,

JGE

As for the timing belts, it cost me about 30 bucks for the pair a few months back. 2-4 hours sounds about right if you have A/C, PS, and your timing covers are still there, and you dont have a clue what your doing? I think I heard somewhere an average timing belt job through a mechanic can cost anywhere from 250.00 to 500.00. Once you tear into it you may need to inspect and replace a few miscellaneous seal along with the water pump. None of this is real complex and if you have a few tools and dont mind getting your hands dirty, give it a shot and save some dough.

These cars are very simple and this website is an abundance of knowledge and assistance. You might be able to find someone from this website that is close to your area and may be able to help or atleast save you some money??? Maybe???

None of your problems sound life threatening for a sub :brow:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=22192

'Nuff said in that post, but that's just my opinion.

Didn't take me no 2-3 hours doing my 1st T-belts. And I had to re-time them due to former owner using the wrong flywheel on the engine, hence no T-belt timing marks. Really ain't that hard of a job, even with all of the creature comfort devices installed on certain models. IE; power steering, air conditioning, so on and so forth.

Hey there:

Problem is, I have no place to work on this. If it's 3 hours it will cost me around $180.00 for work + the belts... No PS, No timing covers I remember. But it has leaking AC. I've heard horrific numbers for timing belts too, but not for the Subaru! My friends have a 94 Accord and there quote was $500.00 but their engine needs to be pulled part way out apparently! With the Soob, no such problem.

JGE

As for the timing belts, it cost me about 30 bucks for the pair a few months back. 2-4 hours sounds about right if you have A/C, PS, and your timing covers are still there, and you dont have a clue what your doing? I think I heard somewhere an average timing belt job through a mechanic can cost anywhere from 250.00 to 500.00. Once you tear into it you may need to inspect and replace a few miscellaneous seal along with the water pump. None of this is real complex and if you have a few tools and dont mind getting your hands dirty, give it a shot and save some dough.

These cars are very simple and this website is an abundance of knowledge and assistance. You might be able to find someone from this website that is close to your area and may be able to help or atleast save you some money??? Maybe???

None of your problems sound life threatening for a sub :brow:

Hey there:

Problem is, I have no place to work on this. If it's 3 hours it will cost me around $180.00 for work + the belts... No PS, No timing covers I remember. But it has leaking AC. I've heard horrific numbers for timing belts too, but not for the Subaru! My friends have a 94 Accord and there quote was $500.00 but their engine needs to be pulled part way out apparently! With the Soob, no such problem.

JGE

yeah, I also have a 93 accord (wifes car) and I had to replace those belts myself...next time I am paying Honda cause it was the worst job I have ever had to do!!!:banghead:

Subs are soooo easy.