Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cracked head or blown gasket?

The car [ea82t wagon] was driven 15 miles with a hole in the radiator that was unknown. This was at 120kmh or about 65 mph, the car overheated, slowed and then was pulled off the road. It would not start after it had been shut down at first.

Dan the owner of the car noticed the over heat condition shortly before pulling over and is unsure how long it had been maxed out.

I have just finished installing a d/r 5spd trannie for him and when going for the test run noticed the missfire chuff chuff sound. Lottsa white exhaust not a lot of power.

So... I'm going to help him out again, would've been nice to know this w... ork was needed before putting the motor/trannie in:banghead: , is it worth while to try and do a head gasket without pulling the motor?

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx i will pull the engine in sunday then, If there are cracks on the heads where are the ones most likely to cause problems?

If there are cracks in the heads they will be apparent between the intake and exhaust valves. Look closely because they are not always dramatic, but clean off the carbon deposits and examine the thinest area between the two valves on each cylinder.

While the heads are off, check to make sure they are not warped using a square and feeler gauges.

Good Luck!