Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Questions on 88 2WD Wagon

I'm looking at an 88 2WD wagon with 245 000 kms on it.

It's rust free and pretty clean in and out.

I don't have any service records!!

So, I probably should be replacing the timing belts as a precautionary measure.

Is there anything else I should change or look at before something breaks?

Also, when cold it ildes great. When it's warm, it idles a little rough.

Is this perhaps just an EFI issue or could it indicate something larger?

Anything I should be looking for as this is my first Subaru purchase?

Thanks for any help.

To try diagnosing the efi problem, you can check the error codes (like morse code) flashing from the ecu. First of all does your check engine light flash or remain lit while the vehicle is running? How about when it is warm?

Heres a thread that will give you some more info on how to check codes, hopefully someone has a resource that shows what codes mean what. I have a haynes manual that has the codes in it, but no scanner. It would be a good idea to get one if you want to work on your sube. You can find them at pretty much any part store.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4449&highlight=checking+codes

Important: If you get a haynes manual do not follow its instructions on setting up the orientation of the cams when changing timing belts. Follow the way your motor was set up to begin with (check and mark the pulleys if needed before you take your belts off)

Are you in a hurry to purchase? Why stick with a 2wd? 4wd's are cheap and plentiful, maybe for the money you might want a 4wd turbo?

If you have time there are some great cars to be had, My wagon before the one in my sig cost 50$, + the cost of two headgaskets. It met an ugly end when i hit a logging truck head on out by Bamfield on the west coast.

I just finished helping my friend turn a turbo with blown trannie into a turbo with 5spd d/r for $500. Nice wagon too, only 210k very clean no rust. Anywhere.

I've kept an eye on the buy and sell and the deals semm to be out there right now. Guess everyone wants shiny new things. :D

Turbo d/r 5spd = :burnout: