Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ack...I need a help fixing..a cup holder :)

Hi there. My new old outback wouldn't let me use her cup holder. In fact she wont let me take it out. For some reason cup holder seems to be stuck inside. I do not know what is holding back, but I would like to get it out without any force put into. What would be the best way to fix this? What needs to be come out in order to take apart the cupholder "area?"(a console??Don't know the word for it...)

For now that is the major issue and the priority. There are other problems but I will address that in future..haha

Thanks in advance.

Dan

The cupholders on the 99 and earlier seem to get stuck a lot. You only need to remove two screws, unfortunately, they are under the front edge of the cupholder and you may not be able to reach them unless you can get it to pop out a couple inches. The latch is a push to latch, push to unlatch mechanism. I would try gentle even prying on both sides. If it doesn't seem unlatched, push in on it then try the prying again. Mine always pops out easy halfway, almost enough to use it, but sticks there. The whole thing slides out as an assembly once the two screws are removed and you can silicon it up and it will work for awhile if nothing's broken.

Mine wont enough move at all. Even if I try to push it to unlatch....no sgin of any movement...just sits there...

Thanks

Dan

Try this, push on the holder itself, try to push it in a little bit.

Many times drinks, pop, coffee, etc get spilled in there.

Mine was like this so I had to push it in a few times and then push the release while it was on its way back out.

• 7 months later...

I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your prob, but I also don't know how to start my "own" thread! Maybe someone could help me out. I'm about to replace my clutch on a 93 Subaru Legacy (all wheel drive). I have a master mechanic friend who says we will move both axles, but my uncle says it would be easier to move the engine forward (he's an A/P mechanic) to replace the clutch? I have already replaced the cable. Anything else while I'm down there? Plus, I need to do my CV joints. Another reason to remove both axles?:rolleyes:

If you can get a thin loop of wire in from the side, and pull on it while you push on the button, you should be able to pull out the cupholders. Then remove the two screws on either side, remove the cupholder assembly, disassemble, clean, and reinstall.