Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81T happiness

Ok...well, I got my 83 T-wagon almost completely stripped down now. Gonna pull the motor and tranny tomorrow, I hope. Engine is looking kinda rough, so I've decided to tear into it and put a fresh rebuild on it before I try to put it in another car. But I've been thinking that if I'm gonna be tearing into it anyway, maybe I should do some nice go-fast stuff to it while I'm in there. I'm not looking for 4000 horsepower or anything, but I'm thinking I can get up towards the 150 range. So...I'm looking for opinions. Anybody ever put an XT6 throttle body or MAF on an EA81T before?

My thought was to use the larger throttle body and MAF along with a TD04, intercooler and boost controller. I think that would deliver enough air, but fuel becomes a problem at that point. Anyone know how much fuel the stock injectors can deliver? Would it be better to upgrade the existing injectors or simply add on some additional injectors upstream (top or the manifold, maybe)? I think I'd want to upgrade the fuel pump either way. More fuel pressure and more volume.

Heck this is probably already getting beyond my skills. I'm having enought trouble getting the wiring harness out of the car. *sigh* one more long term project, I guess....

You need somebody tomorrow to stand around and tell you better ways that you could have done something? Depending on weather (weather or not I feel like it! :lol: ) I could lend a hand. Maybe get some more swag??? :brow:

Do you need some blades for my recip saw, or are you beyond the mayhem?

Brian jacked 2 packs of blades from his job. :grin:

There will be some more cutting, I'm sure, since I still can't seem to figure out a non-destructive method to extract the wiring harness. Still want the tranny, or can I experiment on it?

I would still like the tranny, but does that exclude your experimenting?