Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help! My XT6 is running like poop

Well I just bought the XT6 a week ago and the battery was dead on it, so I left it at Steve's for a week. Today I went to stick a battery in it and drive it the 30miles to morgantown and I noticed it was sputtering occasionally. This seemed to be similar to what happened to my old GL turbo wagon. I can smell the sweetness of coolant burning when it is running but there is no visible smoke coming out the exhaust or engine. The only way the engine runs smooth is if you floor the gas pedal or let it idle. If you try to give it half throttle it just sputters and gives no power. I am fearing this is a bad problem with the heads. It doesnt overheat but I think the coolant is way lower now. Does anyone know what is up??? I am sure this has happened to someone on this board before.

Have a block check done and you will know the story then. It is not expensive to do. You may have a intake manifold leak causing this also. Make sure the coolant doesn't get low. Check your fuel filters as they could cause this kind of thing.
I fixed it. Turns out there was like no coolant in the radiator. I filled it up and the problem was gone when I drove it around the neighborhood. I checked for burning in the exhaust and no burning coolant smell was coming from the rear of the car. The smell came from the engine where the clamp had been removed from the reservoir tank hose(where connected to the radiator). I reclamped and no more leaks, no more burning smell, and best of all no more hesitation and bucking.

hmm, the tach in my rx just quit working, and i think it may be due to a pre-existing wiring problem in the dash. damn them electricals. at least your car still runs. the rx now has a carb motor due to its electricals
Yeah, Steve and I are doing a clutch job the the XT6 soon since the clutch is slipping pretty badly. When are you guys coming down to WV again?