Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1981 Wagon steering wheel removal

Bro

Hello all, I am new to this forum, because I am now a new, old gen, Subaru owner.

I need help in removing the genuine steering wheel to replace the indicator cancellor that has worn.

Now is this done, I removed all visable screws but I can't work it out. How does the centre horn pad come away to acces the column nut ?

Desperate to have this fixed to get road worthy certificate and get back on the road.

many thanks

There are four screws on the back side of the steering wheel, these attach the center cover with horn buttons. Don't forget to disconnect the horn wire before a full pull. Once the middle cover is off there is a nut to undo, make an alignment mark and then pull the wheel off.

-Dan

In an 81 wagon, you should be able to just pop the center horn pad off. Its just sort of press fit. After that, there's a 19mm nut that retains the wheel. Just make your alignment mark, remove the nut pull. YOu might have to tug at the wheel a bit, as they sometimes get a bit sticky.

thanks for the replies guys......I undid all screws, pulled like mad to remove the horn cover, and then I notice it slides off in a downward motion. Now I can access the nut and all is good.

I hope this helps someone else, and saves then the frustration.

cheers

Bro