Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hi lo tranny in 92 loyale?

hi everyone

first posting so go easy on me :) am tired of the jeep experience and want to go back to subies...have a friend in denver who can swap a hi lo tranny into a 92 loyale..i like the idea cause of the fuel injection i will get and the newer and lesser mileage vehicle also...had two 87 wagons which i put on over 265k a piece on then a legacy...then an impreza and finally the forester....but, really loved those wagons...so, does anyone do this swap in the washington state area so i could see the car in person first and scope it out and does anyone want to trade theirs if it has the fuel injection and is a 92 w/low mileage? have a 96 grand cherokee limited with 120k and running strong, would like some cash also of course :D

thanx!

alan ingles

You have two seperate subject there.

1) If you want to trade your Jeep for a Subaru. It needs to go into the marketplace.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12

You have to be logged in as a member to get there.

2) There are a few on the board that have put a Hi-Low into the Loyale. Don't know of a specific person in Washington. All put together there is not much to see, other than a console with High-low lever.

If you can install a clutch, you can do this conversion. There is a new area of the board, for conversions, but as this is really just a tranny swap, we can talk about it here.

We are talking about a non-turbo loyale correct. With a Turbo Loyale you have to swap the axles and the rear differential.

You can you the same clutch assembly for both vehicle. Pull the transmission out, swap over the shift mechanism. (It would be best if you took it out of a car at the wrecking yard, so you would know how it goes back in. I then I install the dual range console so it looks cleaner.

Install the new transmission and hook it all up. The hardest part is getting the 4WD light to come on the dash. You can just plug it in but then you don't have a light when you are in lo range. The same driveline can be used, so no problem there.

At this point you can get rid of the pneumatic air system that is used for the push button 4WD, or just leave it in.

Good Luck.

I have done the swap into my 91 loyal. My 4 wheel drive light still goes on even in 4 low, anyway. The check engine light has been on ever since I did the swap however. Thats the only problem Ive had. hmmm. I miss my car. College sucks. got to go to class.

richie

about the only question i had about the thing was if anyone here in the seattle area does them or would do one for me...rather then my friend in denver picking a car he thinks i would like and doing the swap..if its done here i can see the car and scope it out...that's why i kinda like austin's beast as it has the 2.2 and the d/r...problem still is selling my grand cherokee first :(