Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i'm stumped

ok, my antifreeze seems to be doing a pretty damned good dissapearing act. no puddles under the car but it's empty every week. when the weather is cold and i start my car you may think that i'm batman using my smoke screen. it's quite bad but after a few minutes it's gone. there's barely any heat. i was thinking that may be the heater core, but i have no leaks on the inside. i don't know if it's the head gasket but i'm hoping it's NOT. my oil pressure gage hasn't worked in years, so it does no good. any one else have similar problems with a loyale? it's a 90...190,000 miles...

april

I am new to subarus, but not with cars in general, if you do not have water on the inside, then your heater core should be good, where is the smoke comeing from?? If it is from the exhaust it most likely is your head gasket, but if it from under the hood, I would say its leaking onto the engine and then burning up but then why does it not do it when the engine gets even hotter :confused: . The only thing i can think of to explain that is that its a very slow leak. Well thats my two cents worth.

While the engine is cold take the spark plugs out and turn the motor over a few times with the starter and see if there is any coolant coming out ,or disconnect the coil so there is no spark and turn engine over a few times with the starter and then take the plugs out and chech for signs of coolant but be carful when diagnosing it may not be head gasket and i am no expert on subarus.