Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Changing Transmission Fluid DIY

fsub

Hi,

Synchros seem to be quite worn on my 88 GL Wagon. Think its a SPFI or MPFI. Read on here that changing the trans. fluid to Redline MT might help get some more life out of the transmission.

Is this something I can do in teh parking lot of my apt. complex? Have some mechanical knowledge. Any tips? What tools will I need?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Thanks,

Just read the reply from the other day too (doh!) Should have searched better.

Any reccomendations for fluid? Its a 2WD Wagon with some synchro problems.

Is the plug easy to spot once under the car? Is is just drain the stuff and add the amount specified in the manual?

very easy to do you will need a jack and some jack stands or a set of ramps a drain pan and i believe it is a 17 mm on the drain plug

Thanks,

Just read the reply from the other day too (doh!) Should have searched better.

Any reccomendations for fluid? Its a 2WD Wagon with some synchro problems.

Is the plug easy to spot once under the car? Is is just drain the stuff and add the amount specified in the manual?

can't say on the fluid but thier are alot of post talking about it. as far as spotting the plug it is pretty easy it is right behind the crossmember

Yup, and you'll need a good size breaker bar to crack it loose if it hasn't been done before. Mine was on there TIGHT, used a 18" breaker bar and a lotta pullin. Also, I would recommend putting teflon tape on the threads of the plug. Dat way it don't leak.;)

since tranny fluid is not changed very often i would suggest spending the extra $$ and use some Redline oil.

Thanks for all the info. No idea when the stuff was last changed since I just bought the car. A shop quoted me 70 bucks just for labor to change the fluid. I figure I can probably buy some ramps and fluid for that price.

I've read that redline MT is good and that's what I'll probably use. Any other suggestions for an old tranny with tired synchros?