Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No idle with less restrictive intake?

Well...after working on the "getting it happy again" issue for a bit, I of course had to leap right into "make it faster"...and with a cone type air fliter and an inexpensive MAF adapter...one cold air intake! Well...not cold air YET but at least low restriction.

However, there is one problem...the car will NOT idle. I can start it up and by leaning on the gas revs build nicely...but off gas it drops to very low revs, tries to stay, but dies.

When I did a similar setup on my 2.5RS I had no issues at all. I suppose I could advance the timing to bring that idle up smooth again... With the RS it was just a matter of "resetting the ECU" via unhooking the battery, letting the ECU "forget" everything, then restarting and having the ECU re-learn with the higher flow intake. So I tried doing the same thing here...and no effect, still no idle.

Has anyone else had an issue with a less restrictive intake and not being able to idle?

are you sure you didnt accidentally disconnect one of the vacuum lines? i managed to do that to my buggy, and it ended up idling like crap (sputtering & stalling). it tried to idle around 600 rpm until that hose got reconnected.

Like what was said above, recheck all of you vacuum lines that are supposed to be plugged into your intake.

After you are absolutely sure all of your vacuum lines are plugged in and snug, disconnect your battery for 30 minutes. If you can't wait that long, disconnect the negative terminal and push on your brakes for approximately 5 seconds. Then reconnect your negative battery terminal cable and start the car up. Let the car idle for about 5 minutes or so. Do not touch the brakes or gas pedal. Turn it back off and turn it on again. Go for a drive.

I know from changing the intakes on the XT6s I have over and over again, sometimes I can get a really crappy idle if I don't reset the ECU by disconnecting my battery terminals. Other times I can change the intake and everything is fine. It's a hit or miss deal. After resets though, they have always idled fine.

Like what was said above, recheck all of you vacuum lines that are supposed to be plugged into your intake.

After you are absolutely sure all of your vacuum lines are plugged in and snug, disconnect your battery for 30 minutes. If you can't wait that long, disconnect the negative terminal and push on your brakes for approximately 5 seconds. Then reconnect your negative battery terminal cable and start the car up. Let the car idle for about 5 minutes or so. Do not touch the brakes or gas pedal. Turn it back off and turn it on again. Go for a drive.

I know from changing the intakes on the XT6s I have over and over again, sometimes I can get a really crappy idle if I don't reset the ECU by disconnecting my battery terminals. Other times I can change the intake and everything is fine. It's a hit or miss deal. After resets though, they have always idled fine.

That is the EXACT same as the RS reset...funny. I'm gonna let it sit overnight with the battery off...tomorrow morning change oil and plugs, and let 'er rip!

And yes...a vac line was diconnected...I was too focused on the suspension. Oops!