Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Electrical light problem 91 loyale

Just bought a 91 loyale, someone before me tried to wire a trailer light directly into the rear left light fixture. Tore out that wiring and rewired to original.

Here is the symptoms: All rear lights work except for the running lights which are only getting 3.5 volts (per meter) The rear wiper does not work but the pump does.(related?) Also the left headlight only runs dim with no change on bright while the right headlight is normal

I do not have a good schematic but from looking on the net have found possibly relays for the headlights, and the rear signals

any info, ideas, or shop knowledge would help Thanks

Just bought a 91 loyale, someone before me tried to wire a trailer light directly into the rear left light fixture. Tore out that wiring and rewired to original.

Here is the symptoms: All rear lights work except for the running lights which are only getting 3.5 volts (per meter) The rear wiper does not work but the pump does.(related?) Also the left headlight only runs dim with no change on bright while the right headlight is normal

I do not have a good schematic but from looking on the net have found possibly relays for the headlights, and the rear signals

any info, ideas, or shop knowledge would help Thanks

for the wiper motor, check the white connectors inside the hatch, when my defroster quit working and i checked the plugs in the hatch, they were melted and caused a bad connection. Your wiper motor may have done the same thing. As for the headlight, the most likely cause for that is the high-beam element may have burned out, you can check by removing the bulb and looking into it, there are two elements in there one high one low, if one is discolored or obviously burnt replace it.

All the connections look good and as for the headlight it is brand new, when switched to the other side it works great

look at the headlight harness, any corrosion? or signs of a melted plug? there are three contact points on the headlight plug you can use a small screwdriver to bend them so there is better contact with the bulb.

Mad, the head lamps are earth switched as you have no doubt learned.

The ground connection that is used to switch the headlamps on via the headlight relays

(one for the right and another for the left)

is located on the inner fender behind the coil.

The running light are also switched by the rocker switch on the top of the steering column.

The switch may be in an intermediate position.

Here is a wiring schematic for you.

Hope this helps.

headlightdiagram.jpg

Dim left headlight happened to me. After frantically looking for a ground problem, like a lot of people suggested I eventually looked at the relays and one of them was visibly burned at the connecters. I replaced the relay and haven't had a problem since.

Klaus

It sounds like a grounding problem to me. If only 3.5 volts are making it to the lamp, some volts are being drained off elsewhere. Check the grounds. I'm with Skip.

O.K. so anyone following this thread, here is the final outcome.

The headlight relay under the dash was spent. apparently this links to the rear running lights, the dash lights, and the headlights, as soon as i replaced the relay everything was back to norm. Here is also a strange coincidence, my driver side rear door would not lock when activated from the driver door. Now it works great???

Interesting working on these for the first time. I am a jeep man but siked to have a cozy rig that's quiet and the wifey likes to ride in it

thanks to skip and hops "I got er done"