Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wherring noise from wheel

On my 4wd 83 wagon I get a wherring noise, which sounds like bad tires but changed the tires and the noise is the same. The faster the noise the louder the noise is. I thought it was the front left wheel baring and changed that but its still their. When i turn to the left and the weight transfers to the right the noise goes away. Others tell me that i doent sound like a wheel baring. Now im trying to figure what else could make this whering sound. Any ideas would be great.Thanks David

The sound stays constant with speed, it has nothing to with engine RPM's, whether its in gear or not. It doesnt sound like a clicking CV joint and none of boots are riped. THe front pads look ok and the the noise doesnt change when you hit the brakes. This is my first 4wd so i dont know what the transfercase or rear diff sound like if or when they go bad.

Im going to start taking things a part and looking around so any ideas would be very helpful.

David

Jack up all wheels & check wheel bearings for excessive play or roughness. Just because the noise goes away when turning right doesn't mean the left beairng is at fault. The right bearing will be under less total load, but the load will change direction, which could make the noise quieter or louder.

if you can't pinpoint a side, it may be differential noise. (front or rear)

try checking the differential fluids or changing them for good measure. use a quality synthetic gear lubricant within the specifications of your diff.

your tires that you replaced, were they old, worn in bad shape? were they a matching set of tires or all different?

check wheel bearings for play/noise/etc.

jack up car and turn wheels by hand. remove wheels and turn the rotors/hub by hand and listen for noise or feel for roughness. pay attention to rotors, brakes pads, wheel bearing and cv noise.

grab your cv axles and make sure they feel solid.

sounds to me like it has to be a moving part.

Don't bother repacking the old ones. Bearings are so cheap (especially the front deep groove balls) its simply not worth it. These subies can go through front wheel bearings faster than most other cars.

While the bearings are out, check for wear on the spacer between the two bearings. This wears when a bearing gets worn out and heats up more than usual. THe resulting expansion of the bearing causes it to lock itself to the knuckle (The beairng should usualy be able to 'creep' around the knuckle, to give uniform wear over the outer race), while at the same time loosening around the axle. Because of this, and the increassed rolling resistance of the worn bearing, one bearing can spin on the axle, while the other does not. this results in wear on the spacer.

This is by no means a common occurence, but it is worth checking anyway, as significant wear on the spacer will cause the bearings to wear out very prematurely. You can tell if the spacer is worn by looking at the faces, there should not be 'rings' worn into it.