Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got performance q's for y'all

Let me start off by saying hi to everyone this is my first post 'n junk. With that said I have owned an '88 GL 3 door for two years now, and just bought a raped RX, engine seems to be fine but the body sucks, so I am taking the RX motor and putting it in my GL, and I was wondering about the performance stuff I read all 30 pages in this forum and there is some great stuff but I still have Q's I was wondering everyone could help me with. First of will the WRX turbo go onto my car, if so with what modification? A step by step would be much appreciated. Second blow of valve, how do you install one on the stock turbo, and once i get the TD04 how on that one. I am really new at the turbo scene so bear with me. Third how do you install a FMIC on this vehicle do you have to get rid of the metal peice that goes right over the throttle body. Fourth I read somewhere the EA82T's 87 and up have a spyder intake, is their any merit to this. If not where do I get one, without butchering an XT-6 by cutting junk off of it cuz I know I ain't that advanced. Last but not least anyone know any other Performance mods that aren't listed on the site or that I might not know about. I have other questions but this will satisfy my current lust for knowlage. Thank you for at least taking the time to read this little beast of an essay. Ohhh and whatever happened to the fuel rail thing? for 50 bucks I'LL buy one if you are still doing it.

Welcome to the Board,

Good to hear you've read a bit before you started asking some questions. WRX, yes there are a few ej20t getting arround in old soobs now most of these are brumby\brats of what i seen but these cars have the same fronts from the front of the doors forward. This is a pretty big conversion as to take full adavntage of the ej you need the swap in the wrx driveline aswell e.g. g.box + diff. I have seen under the hood of a wrecked wrx brumby and it was tight. Not much clearence at frame rails and it is hard to see any of the ground below unlike the old eaXX. Fmic on ur rx is as easy as cuttin a whole and bolting the sucker before the rad, duh. then gettin some piping, fexiable tubes (so your intercooler doesnot crack when your engine shakes) and do some plubling, from your turbo to ur intercooler and then from it to your intake. eh not not so easy? Most of the intercooled folks on the board use top mounted incoolers as these have less pipes to run so are therefore easier to install and have less turbo lag. A drawback is tmic's get less airflow. And blow off valves dont get a vrooom piiistt one cause it dumps air that your computer thinks is still going to the engine and make it run rich on revy gear changes. A recirculating one is better as this "plumbs back" into the system and your wont run rich. Wowa i think this is mah longest post ever.