Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tick Of Death Fixed!

I have posted a couple of times on here about the TOD on my 86 GL wagon, which is now nice and quiet. The cure? New gaskets on the oil pump + replace the impeller (2 pieces) and the seal on the impeller shaft. This was less than $50 Canadian, as compared to $344 I was quoted by a dealer for a new oil pump.

Cheers

note this wont fix everyones ticking, the ticking is caused by having not enough oil pressure to operate the lifters properly or permently damaged lifters. Low oil pressure going to the lifters can be caused by two things, the one stated above and can also be caused by blockages in the passages feeding oil to the lifters. So if you want to get rid of your ticking i suggest you use an oil additive e.g. mmo, first just incase its just the oil galleries that are blocked as this takes all of 2 seconds to do. If the mmo doesnot work you can be pretty sure its your oil pump seals and short of that its failed hydrolic lifters.

note this wont fix everyones ticking, the ticking is caused by having not enough oil pressure to operate the lifters properly or permently damaged lifters. Low oil pressure going to the lifters can be caused by two things, the one stated above and can also be caused by blockages in the passages feeding oil to the lifters. So if you want to get rid of your ticking i suggest you use an oil additive e.g. mmo, first just incase its just the oil galleries that are blocked as this takes all of 2 seconds to do. If the mmo doesnot work you can be pretty sure its your oil pump seals and short of that its failed hydrolic lifters.

what kind of additive are you referring to?