Ultimate Subaru Message Board

head gasket question

Quick check for bad head gasket with leak to cooling system is to remove oil filler cap and look under neath for milky white or light tan oil ( oil mixed with water ). Check dipstick also for milkyoil if you haven't yet. Could be a burnt exhaust valve or stuck ring, do compression check to determine that, then add a little oil, if its rings the compresion will jump up. Hope that helps

is there any way to tell if the head gasket is blown versus a cracked head before pulling the head off?
Is this on your EA82T? Usual procedure is to pull the (exhaust) crossover pipe and look at the port-runner divider to see if obviously cracked or weeping coolant.

nope - it's on the n/a
I can't recall hearing problems with cracked heads on non-turbo engines, but then I am a little focused on EA82Ts. :) I don't know where non-turbos would crack their heads, but shill might be worth a look into the exhaust port. (A whole lot easier than on the "T", too!!!)

I'm guessing it's the hg, but i thought i'd see if there was any quick and easy way to judge if it was the head before ripping it open.

Is that true guys - only turbo's crack the heads for the most part?

Thanx for the input Northwet:drunk:

I can't recall hearing problems with cracked heads on non-turbo engines, but then I am a little focused on EA82Ts. :) I don't know where non-turbos would crack their heads, but shill might be worth a look into the exhaust port. (A whole lot easier than on the "T", too!!!)

Mostly true, you can crack a head by having to much adv. timing/pinging , running lean, or a really bad overheat will do it too but almost all cracked heads on our cars our found on the turbo cars. Cracks don't neccesarily condemn a head to the scrap heap either.