Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale Brake Question

Hello Everyone- This is my first post- Just bought a 91 Loyale 4wd wagon yesterday. It needs front brake rotors. When i went to replace them today I noticed that one of the 4 bolts holding the rotor to the hub is larger than the other 3. The hub is actually threaded for this larger bolt while the other 3 hub "holes" are not. My problem is that the new rotors I bought have 4 threaded holes that are all the same size. The larger bolt doesnt fit the new rotors. I thought I might have the wrong rotors but every part store I call says they are the correct ones for the vehicle. Even the local dealers dont have a clue- Does anyone know anything about this, do I have to switch to a smaller bolt (the size of the other 3?) Any help wouold be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Sounds like someone stripped the threads and re-tapped it for the larger size. This is just on one rotor right? Not both?

Run the old size bolts; not the larger one. Take on of the proper bolts to a hardware store and match up lenth, thread pitch, and grade. Unless you got a junkyard nearby? Then you could jsut go get all the bolts you need or even another hub and the bolts.

Believe it or not its on both sides, thats why it appears to be factory........

Sounds like someone stripped the threads and re-tapped it for the larger size. This is just on one rotor right? Not both?

Run the old size bolts; not the larger one. Take on of the proper bolts to a hardware store and match up lenth, thread pitch, and grade. Unless you got a junkyard nearby? Then you could jsut go get all the bolts you need or even another hub and the bolts.

are 4 bolts necessary to hold it to the hub? many cars don't have anything holding the rotor to the hub...just the wheel when you install it and the caliper. i'm not sure i've seen this kind of set up, but it seems like you could get away with less screws or none at all.

the XT6 rotors have 2 screws in them stock, just retainer screws.i take them out and don't use any screws. either because they are a pain in the rump roast or because i buy rotors that don't have the holes in them, so i don't bother with them. never had any problems in thousands of miles on 3 different XT6's. but i'm not familiar with the loyale, so maybe it's much different.