Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fixing Timing belt Idler Bearings

Anyone has links/ideas on how to fix the idlers on the timing belt?

On my EJ25/2.5 DOHC, the idler next to water pump is a little noisy. It is 100+ bucks. Should I just open the seal and put some grease in? If so what grease?

Should I actually replace the bearings? Where would I buy them?

On my EJ25/2.5 DOHC, the idler next to water pump is a little noisy. It is 100+ bucks. Should I just open the seal and put some grease in? If so what grease?

You can give that a try but I would strongly discourage it. I just bought a 97 OBW for $500. Why so cheap? The timing belt had come off and bent some valves because the previous owner didn't spend $70 for a new idler pulley or $80 for a new timing belt when the head gaskets were replaced. The idler pulley melted apart and there were ball bearings everywhere. The idler was so hot it melted a hole in the front cover.

If the idler is making noise it is because of the races in the bearing having too much play and probably not a lubricant issue.

I priced that idler at: https://www.1stsubaruparts.com/

Description Year List Price Your Price

IDLER, All Models - 2.5L, 1996-1998, $76.75, $57.56

I realize $58 isn't free but if the previous owner of my car had spent $100 (shop cost) for a new idler installed I wouldn't have a sweet 97 OBW for $500 and she would still own a $4000 car!

Just my 2 cents and my 2 cents are 50% off between now and December 25!

Greg

The cost of bearing failure will likely be catistrophic! If the bearing locks up, you'll immediately shear the timing belt and will likely destroy the engine. You could have a machine shop press in a 'will-fit' bearing, but I sure wouldn't recommend it - the cost of failure is too great. Napa or CarQuest sells a replacement for about $60.

If the idlers are like the tensioners in the EA82 engine, the bearings can't just be pressed out and replaced. The older tensioners have the inner race held in by peening over the inner shaft; once that's destroyed there's no way to use the original with a new bearing. A good machine shop could get around that for you, but then it'll cost you more than the dealer OEM part. Don't skimp on tensioner costs with an interferance engine like yours.

You can save some money by taking the idler pulleys to a bearing supply place. They can press out the old bearings and install new ones for you. That would be a lot cheaper than buying completely new assemblies.