Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Starter size, weight and rotation

c150L

No replies in the New Gen board, thought I would try here.

Not sure if this is the place for such a question, but here goes. I have a starter from an 85 GL EA82 engine. It is exactly what I need, but it's too big and too heavy. These Sube starters, due to being mounted on the tranny side of the flywheel/ring gear rotate the direction I need. (CCW looking at the bendix gear end of the starter.) Are any of the new Sube starters, or older starters that rotate this same direction as EA82 starters, any smaller or more importantly, lighter?

Thanks,

Dale

Are you looking for a starter for use on a Subaru engine, possibly for aircraft/hovercraft use?

Aircraft, YES. Sube engine, NO. Sorry if this appears OT, but we are talking about the Sube starters, right? I was hoping Sube had something lighter.

Friend of mine is in a delemma with a Corvair engine in his experimental. (KR2S, to be specific.) He called me after mounting a Nissan starter he was told to use, hit the key and it turned the wrong way. The Nisssan starter would have wored on the Corvair, but he had this engine built to rotate opposite what Corvairs did. (Corvairs rotated opposite what most of us might expect as normal on all engines.) I told him to stop out and look at my Sube starter from my 85 EA82. Told him the Sube starter would have to turn opposite most of the rest because it's mounted on the tranny side of the ring gear. Sure enough, it does, but he's worried about the weight. What ever he comes up with, he also needs a ring gear to match, so that will also need consideration.

Any thought to electrically reversing the Corvair starter? If he doesn't know how to do it, a rebuilder might be able to do it for him. Or does it have a divorced bendix unit on it, so that you could drive it off of something else? Seems to me the starter/ring gear match would be a bigger concern than weight.

Oh, I guess there would be a problem with the Bendix, too, wouldn't there? :-\

Maybe take a page out of the older big piston planes and run a starter/generator?