Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Exhaust smell inside

You exhaust might be cracked. Do you hear any noises coming from the underneath of you car? like a buzzing or fuzzy noise? If you do, check under the car for any discoloration in the exhaust pipe (blackness).

Is you hatch closed all they way?(Dumb question, sorry) How about your trim? Is it worn out?

Sorry I couldn't help ya much. Welcome to the board, I'm sure we'll help ya find a solution.

[HTi]Johnson

In addition to checking the exhaust for leaks, you might want to make sure that all grommets on the firewall are intact. This will not only let exhaust gasses and cold air in, worn grommets can also cause hoses, wiring, cables, and wiring to chafe against the sheet metal (none of which is good).

Hope you find the solution to your problem...... I think I would complain about the cool wind blowing in my face here in southern Arizona.... I don't know what I would do I lived somewhere it actually snowed

James

I would give the rear of the Wagon a good look-over, everything from rear wheel wells, back. Fit, and seal, of the back hatch, missing rubber drain-plugs in the floor area, damaged body panel, so on so forth. Exhaust fumes will enter the back of a Wagon, or Van for that matter, easier than any other body style of vehicle, due to the shape of them. Aerodynamics come into play there.

With it being cold, an exhaust leak should be easy to spot, as you should see a plume of exhaust from the area of leakage, if there is a leak. You could have an assistant, cover the tail-pipe with their gloved hand, only for a second at a time, while you look/listen for leak. You don't want to block the tail-pipe long, just cover-release, cover-release, cover-release, at about the timing of the reading of that.

Hope you find the problem. Ain't healthy to be breathing exhaust fumes.

Welcome to the Board!

Thanks very much. Those are some things I can check myself. Anchorage Ak, by the way. I do know that the rubber gasket around both back doors kind of hangs where it shouldn't. I suppose that could be contributing. I think I smell fumes coming through the vents sometimes. Does that suggest anything to anyone?